Friday, November 20, 2015

On the Signing Front

Since it's been a while since I've done an On the Signing Front and the card piles don't reduce in size until they do,I figured it's time for one....

Thanks to Derreck Chupak for doing a Connecticut Tigers team set for me.
Derreck was going to Aberdeen for a bobblehead and offered to do a team set for me,so I accepted his kind offer....

The West Virginia Power made their final visit to Hagerstown with their team set in tow.
The biggest two gets were Cole Tucker and Connor Joe,each with their Power and SAL top prospect cards.
Cole Tucker was the nicest player in the SAL this season,hope things help him stay that way...
Austin Coley signed his Elite extra as the only other oddball Power pickup.
This was also the Dane Anthony bobblehead giveaway.
Anthony was the first ever pitcher in Suns history (I was at that game) and the team did a sharp giveaway.
Anthony signed the bobble,a 1979 Batavia and 1983 Watertown card.
Super nice guy and credit to the Suns for bringing him back to town!

The Winston-Salem Dash hit Frederick without a team set.
I got the Dash players in the Carolina League prospects done in Trey Michaelzski,Cleluis Rondon,Adam Engel and Jordan Guerrero.
The biggest addition was Chicago's first round pick on his USA card in Carson Fulmer.

Thanks to Jason Christensen for his always welcome help with the Binghamton Mets.
Jason helped me with Michael Conforto (he of the MLB post-season heroics),Gabriel Ynoa and Brandon Nimmo along with the B-Mets team set.

Thanks to Steve Nicholas for adding Kyle Crockett on two cards when Columbus (Indians)visited Indianapolis.
Crockett signed his Panini insert (1 of 100) that I had missed on him a few times....

A trip to Harrisburg produced some chipping away at the Akron Rubber Ducks (Indians) set,but I did get Bradley Zimmer on two cards.
Zimmer signed his Panini Draft Picks and his Mahoning Valley team set card from 2014...

The Charleston Riverdogs (Yankees) made their only visit to the Muni.
The main star was shortstop Jorge Mateo,who was hit by so many of the "1,000 club",that it was difficult for the rest of us.
I eventually got Mateo on his Bowman,Charleston and SAL prospect card,but coach Travis Chapman told us that "I'm trying to get him down to 2 or 3".
Before the series had concluded,Mateo was moved up to High A Tampa,so he was only signing on the first two nights of the set.
The Yankees also had Austin Aune,who was extremely pleasant in signed all five cards,including a heritage and Jordan Foley signed a few including a Bowman Chrome and NY/Penn prospect card.
The other nice addition was former big league Greg Colbrunn,who coached for the Riverdogs...

The Myrtle Beach Pelicans visited Frederick and between my visit and Mike Oravec later in the series,I was able to get some of the team set finished and Jen-Ho Tseng on his SAL prospect.
Tseng is a one per,so I got him once and Mike got the other for me.
The other neat pickups were David Berg on various USA cards and Mike got me David Garner on his Panini elite.
I always like those and will especially like them in their next set now that Panini has the rights to college logos,which made me like their product to begin with years ago!

I'll wrap up with two cards that I was able to get signed during this trip as I got Dodgers prospects Grant Holmes and Alex Verdugo on their Bowman cards.
I would have rather had their Midwest prospect cards,but Lake County was out of them.

Still a long way to go before we are caught up for the season as I still haven't gotten beyond the second pile yet.
I'll try to do more next month!!

No comments: