Saturday, January 30, 2016

A reluctant decision and boxing challenge

The Boxing Challenge rolls on with an HBO doubleheader from Montreal as Sergei Kovalev defends three of the four light heavyweight titles (WBA,IBF and WBO) in a rematch from last year vs Jean Pascal.
Kovalev stopped Pascal in eight and even though I thought the referee's stoppage was OK,many thought it was a hair premature.
Considering that Kovalev doesn't have a lot of other options with Adonis Stevenson (WBC Champ) seemingly uninterested and a potential fight with Andre Ward at the end of the year (I'll still be surprised if that ever happens),a rematch with Pascal will draw in Montreal,so it makes sense to keep Kovalev active and do it again....

This will be the first chance that I have had to announce that I have begun to recognize the WBO as a world championship.
I fought this as long as I could as the WBO has been around since 1988 and I really didn't (and still don't) think that four titles are needed.
However,through the years,the WBO champions have improved,are often the best in the division and for a sanctioning body in boxing,haven't been totally putrid in their decision making process.
I'm not thrilled with this nod,but it was time.

Why is this such a big deal to me?
Here's why-Since 1982,I have written into various notebooks the results of each fight that I watch on television.
These books are now closing in on 35 years old and I try to keep them as accurate as possible.
For WBO title bouts,I would always write for example-Light Heavyweights,12 rds.
That changes tonight.....

I lead the boxing challenge 9-5 in the initial stage of the run.

WBA,IBF and WBO Lt.Heavyweight Titles.12 rds
Sergei Kovalev vs Jean Pascal
R.L.:Kovalev KO 4
TRS:Kovalev KO 6

Welterweights. 10 rds
Dmitry Mikhaylenko vs Karim Mayfield
R.L:Mayfield Unanimous Decision
TRS:Mikhaylenko Unanimous Decision

No comments: