Saturday, April 28, 2018

Browns draft Austin Corbett-Round 2

I decided to watch day two of the draft with the Cavaliers and used the picture in picture feature, so I wasn't watching game six of their series vs Indiana as closely as usual.
Indiana pounded the Cavaliers by 34 points to force game seven on Sunday in Cleveland.
So, that's why no Cavalier coverage tonight and instead will write about the three newest Browns.

With the first pick in the second round, I was hoping that the Browns would go offensive line with one of their two picks (33 and 35) and the player that I was hoping was the choice was Connor Williams of Texas.
I believe that had Williams not been injured early in the season, Williams would have been in the top 15 and might have been the first tackle taken off the board.

John Dorsey and the Browns didn't go my way as far as player, but they did address the offensive line with Nevada's Austin Corbett.
I was dismayed at first about not taking Williams (Williams would go later in the round to the Dallas Cowboys),but the more I think about Corbett (who I figured would be a late second to third rounder), I don't think it's a bad pick, although I still prefer drafting Williams.

The 6'4 306 pound Corbett was announced as a guard, although he played tackle for Nevada and I think that the Browns have to be thinking about Corbett challenging Shon Coleman to be the replacement for Joe Thomas at left tackle.
Considering the Browns have Joel Bitonio and Kevin Zeitler at guard at a considerable amount of money, I can't believe the Browns used a pick of this value to provide depth at guard- I would highly suspect that he was drafted to be a tackle.
Corbett replaced current Browns starter Joel Bitonio at Nevada and if Corbett can be on the level of Bitonio, then the Browns have a winner.
Corbett looks to be light enough on his feet to play tackle and looks pretty similar to Bitonio, who
has been one of the few draft picks to become a standout over the last few years
.

One of the frustrating things about being a Browns fan and writing about the team around the draft period is looking at the team when they draft at a position and take a player that you had lower than an available player.
What's even more frustrating is that I have a better hit rating than the Browns in this situation.
In four of the Browns first five picks in this draft, (Denzel Ward was the exception), this occurred as follows- the team's pick is listed first and mine second.
Baker Mayfield vs Sam Darnold
Connor Williams vs Austin Corbett
Nick Chubb vs Ronald Jones/Derrius Guice (Only because of concerns for Chubb's knee, not for his ability, assuming Chubb is 100 percent, I prefer Chubb to either of the two mentioned backs);
Chad Thomas vs Sam Hubbard.
It'll be interesting to check back in two or three years and see who is correct more often.
If it is my choices that are correct more than not (especially with Baker Mayfield) the Browns aren't going to be better off than they are now.

No comments: