Thursday, April 26, 2018

Cleveland Browns-Persons of Interest

Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images
The Persons of Interest series won't be as detailed as usual, mainly because of the number of items to write about (the inbox keeps getting larger and larger every day), but I did want to make a list of a few players so I can look back in a few years and see how much that I was right and wrong about.

This is the year that the Cleveland Browns will finally go quarterback and there are a few that I like a lot.
Of course, this really boils down to this -I would be happy ( in various degrees) with any of four quarterbacks and only have a distaste for one of them.
Being a Browns fan means that you worry that one guy will be the choice and this year Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma is in the rumor mill as a possible choice.
I'm not crazy about a six-foot, not great athletically, slightly above average armed spread option quarterback as my choice as my first-rounder at first overall in the draft!
My passer of choice would be USC's, Sam Darnold, who I've liked since I saw him as a freshman.
I think he's the most rounded of the quarterbacks and I'm not dissuaded by the turnover rap from last season with the Trojans.
I watched a lot of his games and his line was atrocious, so I'm convinced that Darnold was not to blame.
I like UCLA's Josh Rosen and he throws the best ball, but I am concerned about a concussion history and Rosen has been rumored to be a player that has interests besides football.
Wyoming's Josh Allen has all the tools and might be John Elway if all goes well.
I can also see him being Derek Anderson, so Allen is the definition of High-Risk High Reward.
I like Louisville's Lamar Jackson much more than many observers do, but I'd wonder about him with the first or second of the Browns two first-rounders.
Browns fans would go nuts with picks at 1 and 4 and not picking a QB, but I wouldn't be against picks there and trade back into round one-if I knew I could land Jackson. 

At running back, I like Saquon Barkley of Penn State a lot, but I don't have him rated higher than Ezekiel Elliott or Todd Gurley when they came out.
Barkley's the best back in this draft, but I'm not sure I buy that he's a once in a generation back.
I also like several other backs in the day two range- Derrius Guice of LSU, the Georgia pair of Sony Michel and Nick Chubb bring different skills with Michel being more of a pass-catcher with good running skills and Chubb more of a piledriving back.
I like Ronald Jones of USC a lot, but he needs to get stronger to break tackles in the NFL. 
I wouldn't be against a day three shot at Alabama's Bo Scarborough, who didn't play as well in 2017 as he did in 2016.

The wide receivers aren't as strong this draft with Calvin Ridley of Alabama being the best on my board, but even Ridley isn't quite top ten caliber.
I like D.J. Moore of Maryland and Anthony Miller of Memphis, but they are more slot receivers on a team that just traded for Jarvis Landry.
D.J. Clark of LSU has all the tools to be a huge vertical threat and could be a huge star if he develops his route running.
I've always been a fan of SMU's Courtland Sutton, who might not be a number one receiver, but could be a very productive number two opposite a good number one.
My deep sleeper is Houston's Steven Dunbar, who I've always thought reminded me a little of Marques Colston.

Three tight ends stand out over the rest and I'd love to have one, but will the Browns draft a tight end high after David Njoku's first-round selection last season?
Dallas Goedert of South Dakota State has all the physical tools but has the small school rap, Mike Gesecki of Penn State is going to be a red-zone nightmare for defenses and South Carolina's Hayden Hurst is still learning after spending a few years in the Pittsburgh Pirates farm system.

Most people have Notre Dame's Mike McGlinchey as their top tackle and I'm high on him, but my top tackle is Texas lineman Connor Williams, who entered last season as a potential top-five pick before injuries ruined his 2017.
Williams would be the replacement for Joe Thomas and I'd consider moving back into the first round for him, should the price be reasonable. McGlinchey would also be an option in the same scenario.
UCLA's Kolton Miller and Oregon's Tyrell Crosby are talented tackles that need refinement and might be nice day two considerations if the Browns cannot move up.

Notre Dame's Quentin Nelson is clearly the top overall lineman in the draft and only the rule of not picking a guard in the top five keeps Nelson from going in those slots.
Nelson's that good.
I don't see the Browns going guard or center as the only need on the line is at tackle.

I'm going to try to return later with persons of interest on the defensive side if I have the time...

No comments: