Thursday, December 6, 2018

Catching up..

I know, I know, you missed me!

I took the lovely Cherie away on a two-day shopping trip so she could get some Christmas shopping finished and I had a wonderful time doing that with her.
I told her earlier this year that she could have a trip of her choice to do whatever she wished since she never has a problem with my baseball trips.
We had such a good time, we might just make it an annual occurrence!

So as I am away, the word crosses the web from my good friend Lefty about the press conference scheduled by Ohio State later that afternoon for Urban Meyer's retirement.
I was caught off guard by the timing, but not surprised by the decision.
I had thought that Meyer had made up his mind and I thought that he would more likely than not, coach no more than two more seasons and more likely one, so I was prepared for that inevitability.

Still, anytime that an announcement of this magnitude is made, it's a bit of a stunner.
Ryan Day is a small gamble and I'm not usually a fan of coaches without head coaching experience getting their first job at a major Power Five school, but the three games Day coached in 2018 impressed me and I'm going to hope for the best.
As for Urban Meyer, I don't think he'll receive an elite job ever again, should he decide to try coaching again.
Assuming his health concerns are legitimate and I believe they are, an elite school is going to hesitate hiring Meyer after leaving schools twice due to health issues, so should he ever want to return, I would say it will be a power five weakling with nothing to lose (Think Kansas with Les Miles) or a lower pressure, yet competitive job in the MAC where he can finish his career similarly to Frank Solich at Ohio U with something to satisfy his need to compete, yet without the pressure that comes with the big time.
I'll be doing a piece on the Meyer years after the Rose Bowl.

The Indians activated an option and then signed pitcher Carlos Carrasco to a two-year extension with another option that keeps the righthander under team control through 2023.
Carrasco will allow the Indians rotation to retain one proven starter with rumors flying that the Wahoo's are considering trades of their other two top of the line starters in Corey Kluber and Trevor Bauer.

In boxing, former WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson remains in a medically induced coma after brain surgery.
Stevenson lost his title last Saturday to Oleksander Gvozdyk in Quebec City Canada via an eleventh round knockout that saw Stevenson take at least one and arguably two booming right hands with Stevenson unable to defend himself before the referee finally decided to stop the fight.
Best wishes to Stevenson and his family on his recovery,

Finally, congratulations to the "Lone Star Cobra" Donald Curry on his long overdue induction into the Boxing Hall of Fame!
Many of you may remember an article here a few months ago that was well received in the boxing community (and ranks right at the top of all-time views for us) that laid out the case for Curry to enter the HOF and although I'm a little surprised that Curry made the Hall this year, I'm thrilled for him and his team.
Perhaps if things fall right this year, I can return to Canastota for induction weekend.
Now, that Curry is in, the work begins for the other fighter- Santos Laciar!

Plans are to return with more tomorrow!


No comments: