Friday, December 7, 2018

What should have been

Today should have been a great day.
Instead let me tell you why it's not, how little I know, what I missed out on and what I learned about myself in the process.

I've mentioned something new that I was preparing to embark on, but I was hesitant to speak about it because I've learned long ago that until you are in the middle of the stream, you aren't really swimming.

I was asked a few times in the past to help coach basketball with a good friend of mine (I'm not going to name him here without his consent, but if you know me personally, you know him) and it never seemed to work out for various reasons.
Finally, it seemed like things were going to work as he was going to move into high school coaching (Girls) and asked if I'd consider an assistant coaching position with control of the offensive system.
This worked for me on several levels (a higher level of play, some control of the system, being able to concentrate on the game more than dealing with paperwork and administration and being during a time of year where I wasn't involved in baseball) and I agreed to do this, despite never having coached young ladies before and the adjustments that entailed.

We coached through the pre-season and a scrimmage against another team and then the information spigot was turned off.
Everything abruptly ended and I didn't know anything about anything.
I still know very little and I'm not sure how much I'll learn about whatever happened, although it didn't have anything to do with me.

Today was supposed to be the season opener and things would have started on an interesting journey.
So, it's a sad day in a way as I was so looking forward to being part of a team again and all the emotions that the ups and downs of sports and young people bring out of people involved.

What I also learned from stepping out on the floor for that one meaningless scrimmage in a gym that was more converted cafeteria than basketball facility was that I missed the competitive factor.
I wasn't sure how I would react to that, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed being involved even in a lopsided loss.

I enjoyed the experience and I'm a little sad that things didn't work out.
I think I'd like to give this another shot under the right circumstances.
I enjoyed working with the players and my buddy and other than the mysterious end, I can't really think of anything negative from the experience.

Just a little disappointed that I'm not spending the day sketching out a game plan or thinking about personnel, but these things fluctuate sometimes, I suppose.
Keep an old writer in mind down the road, if your local school has a basketball opening-Just make sure to give me some boosting to the powers that be!

I'll be back with more soon- LOTS to get posted today!!!

No comments: