Thursday, June 20, 2019

Cavaliers Draft Night

Now that I am home and things are slowing down a bit personally (I'll be writing about my trip to the South Atlantic All-Star game later in the week), things pick up in the sports world with the Cavaliers drafting tonight in the NBA Draft with the fifth and twenty-sixth (Obtained from Houston) pics and the Devils leading off tomorrow evening's NHL Draft.

The Cavaliers dropping to fifth in a draft with three blue chippers was a blow, but they still can come away with a nice player to add to the core of a rebuilding team at five or perhaps even a trade down with a team like the Atlanta Hawks, who might be persuaded in the right situation to consider trading their picks at 8 and 10 for that fifth pick.
Assuming that would not happen and the Cavaliers would stay at five, I'm hoping for Texas Tech two guard Jarrett Culver to be the choice.
Culver's all-around game may not be spectacular, but his floor (worst result possible) is higher than just about anyone else and I think he will mature into a top-notch defender.
I think his ability to create his shot will speed his development and I think he can play alongside Collin Sexton which is a plus for the Cavaliers.
The problem is that I think there is a fair chance that Culver could be the choice of the New Orleans Pelicans with their new acquired 4th overall pick from the Lakers in the trade that sent Anthony Davis to California.


If Culver isn't available, then for me it's a mess.
Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland is currently the hot name entering the draft, but he played just five games for the Commodores before being injured and he plays the same position with similar skills as Collin Sexton.
Normally, I take the best player available, but I'm not sure in this case Garland is head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft to take the risk of him meshing with Sexton.
Duke forward Cam Reddish is the enigma of the draft- abilities that rank with the elite three, but the production doesn't match the talent and there are rumored issues with maturity.
If Reddish clicks, he's the steal of the draft, but he carries risks.
Virginia power forward DeAndre Hunter is an excellent defender and is a high character player, but I wonder about his shot and I'm thinking that he might be as good as he is going to get right now.
North Carolina's Coby White has the type of offensive game that could thrive in the league, especially in the open floor, but doesn't play a lot of defense and I'm not sure his passing is good enough yet to consider that a plus skill.
If the Cavaliers stay at five and if Culver is gone, my guess is that they take one of the above four players and I'm not sure that any of them are sure things or even players I'll be thrilled about. although I can't say that I'd be furious about any of them either.

Meanwhile at 26, who really knows who will be available.
You can always hope that a player falls more than he should and there could be an easy choice, but usually, when that happens there are reasons that you and I are unlikely to know about.
Kevin Porter Jr of USC has been rumored from anywhere from the middle of the top ten to the end of the first round.
Porter has elite potential, but there has to be a reason he averaged less than nine points a game for the Trojans.
If you are going to swing big at 26, swing BIG!
I liked what I saw of Gonzaga power forward Rui Hachimura in watching Bulldog games and Tennessee's Grant Willams at the same position.
Hachimura's game has some growth, while Williams is one of those physical players that seem to either see very little action and leave the league in a few years or develop into a role-playing banger that winning teams usually need.

The Cavaliers lack a second rounder, so unless they decide to purchase (allowed under NBA rules) one or made a deal, they will be finished after 26.
The fifth pick could go in several directions and other than wanting Jarrett Culver, I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how things could fall out.
Whomever that player is, he will be counted on as part of the rebuild to dig the Cavaliers out of their post-LeBron bunker and hopefully he will be around for a while.
I'll be here later tonight with looks at both players.




No comments: