Friday, June 14, 2019

The Dog Days of Summer

Well, Hello.

Been a bit this week since I typed a few notes.
It's not always easy in June sometimes when there is a lull in the live baseball schedules (eight days between games, pushed to nine after a rainout) and you add in two league championship series that even though you prefer one team to another, you don't care enough to write about it making things to write about scarce for a bit.

One thing that I've gained after doing this for so many years now is just how hard it is to write something every day.
I have it easier compared to a columnist in a newspaper as I have different teams or boxing to write about before I pull something out of the past to write about and during certain times, I struggle and it isn't my full-time position!
I have so much respect for the people in print/digital media that have to come up with something almost every day and do so with a rare clunker, so doing this has made me realize that.

It's funny, there are times that I have so much to say and so little time and there are others that I have just nothing to say, sports or otherwise.
I have opinions on non-sports issues, but I'm not always sure people want to hear/read them.
One bad experience has made an impact here and I'm not sure I would be cut out for the brickbats and catcalls that come as part of a real columnist's job.
You have to have a thick skin and though I'm sure you can develop that over time, I'm not sure I would react as well to an opposing opinion that gets too strident on an issue that is important compared to someone being critical of a sports opinion.
I suppose if the day is right, I could see a controversial post, but I'm not planning on it.

The next few weeks will pick things up as I'll have a trip, Cavaliers and Devils drafts and the usual things that I scribble down and I'll hopefully cope better with the next stretch of time without everyday things to write about.



No comments: