Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm sure you are wondering why a Blue Crayfish and I'm not sure why either.
I was scanning through for pictures and it caught my eye, so it works for me.

I'm not sure what 2020 has in store for me.
On a personal level, it'll be a year of firsts and not the type of firsts that I was looking for either as, until Christmas, everything that I'll be marking on the calendar will be the first time without my mom.
Almost all of those holidays are ones that I didn't spend on an actual day with my parents in the past.
They usually had plans of some type with another family member in recent years when mom became infirm, but before that, I would receive invites and more often than that, I'd pass for various reasons throughout the years.
Most of the time, it wasn't a problem between my parents and me, although there was an occasional one through the years, but more often than not, I just didn't want to hang around a bunch of people.
That's not me then and it's not really me now.
I prefer smaller events with family and friends and I'm not huge on a lot of noise, so while it would be easy to say that I regret those decisions now, it would be disingenuous on my part.
Still, I almost always talked to my parents on holidays, especially in recent years and she knew I cared enough to call.
I'll have more to write on mom soon, but I have one more family event to get through to finally be able to allow everything to sink in and I'm sure there will be some healing and dealing to be done when everything is completed.

On a lighter note, could this be the last season for local minor league baseball?
Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred seems pretty determined to bully his way into what he wants and what he wants is more than the elimination of 42 teams that he desires in this agreement with the minors.
It's the next one to watch as well as if Manfred gets his way this time, his final goal is to shrink the minors down to three minor league affiliates for each major league team.
If I lived near a team that wasn't on the elimination list this time, I still wouldn't feel safe.
Both of the local teams are on the hit list and while I certainly can understand why the Hagerstown Suns with the crumbling Muni and woeful attendance would be high on the list, I don't understand why the Frederick Keys, who lead their league in attendance, are on it.
MLB says it's all about player comfort and facilities, but Harry Grove Stadium's needs could be easily addressed by local contractors with an upgraded clubhouse and weather-friendly additions could be added for a batting cage and a pitchers mound or two.
I think Frederick will dodge a bullet, assuming that they are willing to do those upgrades, but I cannot say that I know that for sure.

Personally, should Manfred get away with this, I'd bet my baseball interest drops a bit.
How could I support MLB in good conscience should their heartless plan take effect?
I'm not saying I'll hate baseball or anything like that, but only time will tell how much I resent them.
One thing is for sure, I'm going to appreciate things a lot more this season in the minors and take many of these times as if they could be the last.

I'll be picking up a new hobby this year too, which might be just in time with the situation with the Suns and Keys,
Cherie and Rachel bought me a metal detector for Christmas and I'm pretty excited about it.
I watch two or three people's videos on YouTube that "treasure hunt" on land and water and I've enjoyed watching them, which is likely why my ladies thought this would be a good gift and it was a surprise that I didn't see coming.
I'm looking forward to taking it out to a few of my childhood haunts and seeing what turns up and just being out and about is good for me physically.


I'm also looking forward to another small project, getting some of my collections in order and maybe even moving some things along that might be better appreciated by others.
It's not as much downsizing as it is changing what I wish to collect and keep at this stage of my life.
Ryan says he'll help me, so that would be a large assist in moving things around.

I'll still be doing my baseball trips with my friends of course, but finances permitting I also want to take more trips with the family too.
I have a few ideas for those if I can afford them or even if they would be interested.

All and all, 2020 is going to be a very interesting year with items that don't involve me with the craziness that almost is certain to come with the Presidential election and the various other problems in our country and world, but I'm thinking that things might be better than we think they'll be.
Maybe this is a rare "Half-Full" glass statement for me, but I'm trying for a change!

I'll be back later tonight with either the first boxing ratings of the year, which were postponed since I've been so busy or more from the inbox.






No comments: