Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day.

Happy Mothers Day to all of you out there that take such wonderful care of the spouses, children, and grandchildren in their lives.

Before I begin, a special note of appreciation to Cherie, who has truly taken care of me through all these years, to Rachel, who helps nowadays, my mother in law, Beverly and my three grandmothers both in Maryland and Ohio.
You are all appreciated for what you do and have done for me and others in the past, current, and future.

Today is a bit of a sad day for me as it is the first Mother's Day without my mom.
I wrote about Mom a few months back and mentioned that the next year was going to be filled with "firsts" without her and this was mentioned on that list.
I found tonight at the road office to be a melancholy evening, mainly as I remembered various things about Mom.
I didn't see Mom very often on actual Mothers Day as their house is quite hectic on Sunday's with visitors that aren't exactly known for their willingness to share, so I settled for calling her on the holiday morning after I came home from work and I'd see her the next day on my Monday visit.

Last year's Mothers Day (after) was a memorable one as Cherie and I took her out to her favorite place to eat, a Chinese Buffet, and it was apparent that her decline was increasing.
Still, she enjoyed going out, although her dependence on others for almost everything was bothering her as she apologized consistently throughout the meal.
I didn't think that would be the final time that we would see Mom outside of her home, but for Cherie and I, it would be.

A friend of mine told me this weekend that the first is the hardest and thereafter you have sad times mixed with good memories.
I think they are correct, but it doesn't make today any better.
I hope the mothers out there enjoy the day as best they can amid Covid-19 and the people that they take care give them the appreciation that they deserve on their day.

Back next time with another installment of Friends and Family.


No comments: