Wednesday, September 27, 2023

I Tell Ya' Herbie

 I Tell Ya' Herbie is back with our weekly thoughts on college football.

I Tell Ya' Herbie:

                             I have to say I LOVE the idea produced and is circulating around the Group of Five schools and was promoted in an article by ESPN's Bill Connelly on bringing relegation to college football.

I don't think it has a large chance of happening but I really like thoughts of a title game and two other games that have next year's conference alignment at stake.

One of the things that attracted me to the English Premier League (once I picked a team etc.) was that the relegation system makes late-season games for bad teams mean something and nothing is more important than more money for playing in the best league.

I don't think relegation will ever hit American pro sports (mainly because cities would quit building sports palaces for teams that might be playing the Rochester Red Wings or Hershey Bears should hard times hit but I could see a form of relegation in college football eventually.

I Tell Ya Herbie:

                            I'm hearing and reading that Ryan Day was an awful person for his post-time promo on Lou Holtz because Holtz is in his eighties and a one-time stroke victim.

I've already written about that in a previous post but Holtz's occasional media beefs and that of fellow octogenarian Lee Corso did make me think about what would be considered fair game for two former coaches and studio talking heads who are both older than our elderly current President and his almost as elderly likely challenger.

Holtz and Corso are paid to offer opinions on football.

Both should be held accountable for those opinions as any other commentator and their age and health history should be beside the point.

If either man or their supporters think that their age makes them immune to criticism due to their age, then perhaps it is time for both to step aside from the pundit circuit.

I Tell Ya' Herbie:

                             Maryland is undefeated and will face Ohio State next Saturday in what could be the biggest Maryland game in years, should they remain unbeaten.

While Indiana doesn't appear to be a threat, needing four overtimes last week to defeat Akron, the Hoosiers might be the perfect trap opponent as the Terrapins look forward to traveling to Columbus.

Maryland trailed Charlotte at the half, was tied with Virginia and neither team is going to be confused with a contender in their conference.

I Tell Ya' Herbie:

                             One of the weekend's anticipated games is Kansas visiting Texas in a battle of Big 12 unbeaten and could be setting up for Texas to be surprised should they be looking forward to the following week's game against rival Oklahoma.

Lance Leipold's job in making the Jayhawks even competent from the lows of the previous decade in only three seasons ranks with the best coaching jobs and if the Jayhawks could somehow pull a massive upset, Leipold might be able to write his ticket for any open job of his choice.

I think Texas at home should win this game but at this stage, nothing that Lance Leipold could pull off would really surprise me.

I Tell Ya' Herbie:

                            I can foresee a scenario where the Pac-12 gets two teams in the CFP and the SEC gets none.

Unlikely but if LSU loses a game but wins the SEC West and would then upset Georgia in the SEC title game followed by the Oregon-Washington winner (October 14) running the table and the loser doing the same or USC winning every game with the Oregon-Washington winner only losing to USC, it's possible that could happen.

I doubt it because the Pac-12 is so deep and Georgia would have to look very vulnerable in finishing with one loss but still, it's not impossible.


No comments: