Saturday, May 30, 2009

On the signing front-Carolina League



On the signing front continues with a look at the stuff that I was able to get signed from Lynchburg in their visit to Frederick.

Lynchburg featured Pedro Alvarez in his first local appearance,but the night was not great for me with the Hillcats.
Why?
Because I am an idiot,that's why.
I had taken the stuff that I had for Lynchburg to work to do the prep work for the evening and like a jackass,left them there.
That meant nothing of Lynchburg and that ticked me off tremendously.
But the night was not a total loss as I always keep cards for the home team in the briefcase,so I worked on the Frederick side for the first time this season.
I did not get a lot of players finished as I was the only person for the Keys.
That can be a good thing as players usually don't mind signing for one person,but it hurts at times as well.
When you are alone,you have no one to slow groups of players down and that means lower numbers,but Orioles top pick Brian Matusz signed all three cards that I had and was very nice as was third base prospect Brandon Waring.
Waring was obtained from Cincinnati in the trade that sent Oriole backstop Ramon Hernandez packing to Ohio.Zach Britton signed his bowman card and talked a bit.
Britton has always been very good about signing,although his signature leaves something to be desired as he just signs Z B and his number.
Lynchburg was saved a bit by a collecting friend ( who never likes to have his name here) that loaned me a few Pedro Alvarez cards and a Razor Jordy Mercer to salvage the evening.
Thanks to him,something was saved.
Alvarez didn't sign before the game on this night (although I have been told that he has in the past) and signed some after the game,but only one per.
Fortunately for me,this was sort of a mini party night as I had the ever present Battlin Bob,Ryan,Hank and another friend helping out,so at evenings end I had Alvarez on a Razor,a USA and a Carolina League baseball.
I will be returning for the Hillcats visit on Tuesday since their team set is now out,so hopefully I can remember cards this time and add Alvarez on other cards.

The Pirates were pasted 6-1 by the Astros and Brian Moehler as the fine tradition of crap pitchers dominating Pittsburgh continues.
Only a ninth inning ground out by Jason Jaramillo that scored Adam LaRoche avoided the shutout
I'll be back to daily coverage of the Bucs when time permits and I still have to type the prospects stuff up to post,although I am starting to wonder if it is worth it!

Back tomorrow with more signing news.

Photo Credit
Alvarez:The Graham Family

No comments: