Monday, August 15, 2011

Still busy

I have missed a lot of Pirate games and with time short on another 12 day work run,the blog has suffered.
I will not see another until the Wednesday game against the Cardinals.but I did see yesterday's loss in Milwaukee.
I am not going to do a recap,but will offer a few Pirate hooks below.
Tonight at midnight is the signing deadline for the drafted players,so I hope to have some thoughts tomorrow on the last minute signings by the Pirates and Indians.
Again,I apologize for the lack of posts this week,this run ends next Monday morning and then things should (no promises) get back to normal.

Pirate Hooks

1) Charlie Morton deserved better than a no decision as Morton was able to dominate the Brewers and allowed just one run and four hits in seven plus innings.
Morton has gone back to the fastball as his pre-dominant pitch,it seems as I would guess that he throws 75-80 percent fastballs and when he does that,his sinker becomes the change of pace pitch that he needs.

2) This one belongs to Michael McKenry,who could not stop strike three on Nyjer Morgan allowing Morgan to reach first and give Ryan Braun the chance to tie the game,which he did,sending the game to extra innings.
The official scorer gave Joel Hanrahan a wild pitch,but I clearly thought that the onus was on McKenry.

3) I dislike Miller Park,but the Pirates must hate it more.
The loss was 12th straight there and the Pirates are a glossy 2-34 over their last 36 games in Brew Town.
Ugh.

4) One housekeeping note as Derrek Lee was placed on the DL with an injured wrist.
Josh Harrison was recalled from AAA Indianapolis to take Lee's place on the roster.

5) The Pirates reportedly signed ninth rounder Clay Holmes with a bonus of over a million dollars.
Both first rounder Gerrit Cole and second rounder Josh Bell are unsigned and will go to the wire tonight.
Bet on Cole signing and Bell not,although my hopes are up for the signing of both....

No comments: