Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bruce Quinn speaks and so do Winchester citizens

The Hagerstown Herald Mail was finally able to talk to Hagerstown Suns majority owner Bruce Quinn for more than a brief comment in today's version and although nothing earthshaking came out of the article,one interesting note did.
Quinn claims (and I have no reason not to believe him) that the Washington Nationals and professional baseball sent the team a letter that discussed the poor conditions of Municipal Stadium that would need to be addressed in order for the team to stay in Hagerstown.
I have no problem in believing that statement as after all,I attend games there,so I think Quinn is pretty straight forward there.
Quinn also discusses the money that the team invested in attempting to fix the playing surface at the Muni that did not take and the fact that the city did help in renovating the clubhouse last year that was then ruined by a water leak this past fall.

I have to be honest and fair.
I want baseball in town,so however this happens,I am going to be pretty pleased with,but as a citizen,of course the fairest deal would be preferable.
I have never met Bruce Quinn,would not know him,if he walked up and introduced himself to me,but I have not seen one thing that he has done thus far that any reasonable businessman would not do when dealing with the rundown facilities that his team is forced to play in.
I also have not seen any ridiculous statements from Quinn that makes one feel that this is a financial stickup or a Art Modell run out of town issue.

It is nice to hear where Quinn stands and thus far,I cannot blame him or his staff one bit for any of the ways that this has been handled with the mild exception of the letter of intent with Winchester without publicizing it sooner and even then,Quinn has to be given credit for inserting the loophole that still gives Hagerstown a chance to keep the Suns....

Meanwhile,Winchester citizens are not sure they want the Suns,at least that is how it looks after a meeting last night.
I would want a team under most circumstances,but the lease that would take the team to Apple Blossom Land is a great one for the team,but a questionable one for a city without a track record for professional baseball.
Not that I am arguing any.....

No comments: