Friday, February 10, 2012

Door closing on Hagerstown Baseball

Looks like the door is almost closed for the future of the Hagerstown Suns as what the newspaper in Winchester reported on Sunday,the Herald Mail finally got around to today-The Suns have signed a letter of intent to move to Winchester VA for the 2013 season and a new stadium.

The game is not over yet,but it looks very close as Winchester only needs to pass the funding on their end.
The Winchester paper did add one thing that the Herald Mail did not-Should Hagerstown actually come through on their stadium talk,the Suns could accept if they were to repay Winchester for their costs on studies for a stadium,which would be in the ballpark (no pun intended) of 25,000 dollars.

Editors Note:Here is the actual loophole from the Herald Mail: The letter states that if the Suns fail to execute the lease agreement or relocate to Winchester, the Suns “will reimburse all expenses incurred by the city of Winchester and the (Winchester Economic Development Authority) in furtherance of this project, including but not limited to the Brailsford & Dunlavy feasibility study and the HKS initial architect contracts to a maximum of $75,000.”

The hopes are not over,but the light is very dim.
The city/county has bungled this for years and sooner or later,someone was going to call their bluff.
Bruce Quinn is a serious businessman and he was going to take the best deal,considering the history here,I cannot blame him for leaving,although I might have waited a little longer,if it was me.
Why? Well,I cannot imagine anyone but the hardest of hard core fans giving their money to a team leaving town.Winchester needs time to build the stadium,but the longer Hagerstown had,the better things might have been for Quinn's final deal.

Look for the Muni to be a ghost town this season,I am sure I will be there,but even I not as much.
It just does not seem like fun to be going to the baseball equivalent of a wake for 70 times this summer.
I'll be there for graphing and definitely for the first four games against West Virginia in the Pirates affiliates only visit here all season,but things just will not seem right.

I blame both the City Council and County Commissioners-Past and Present.
The County had to have a motel tax to go towards a stadium and then used it for everything but the intended use.
The current bunch basically said they are not worth keeping,so why bother?
The City came through late in the game with a too little too late proposal and now wants to a stadium that will do everything but host baseball.
The multi-purpose facility that they talk about sounds more along the lines of an arena rather than a stadium,but I do not see Hagerstown bringing minor league hockey here and it is too small for an NBDL team.
If baseball is gone,I hope the idea dies a merciful death as if it was not worth building for baseball,what makes it worth building now?

I do not blame Bruce Quinn and I give credit to Winchester for going out and getting what they wanted and I am sure that I will be there for a few games next season-no hard feelings there.

On the other hand -If you are one of these names:County Commissioners:Terry Baker,John Barr,Ruth Callaham,Jeff Cline,William McKinley.
City Council:William Breichner,Martin Brubaker,Forrest Easton,Ashley Haywood,Lewis Metzner.

Look for the re-election campaign-because I am going to be very active in attempting to defeat EVERY ONE of you.
You took away my hobby,I am going to do my absolute best to take away yours......

However,I'll offer you this-Pull off the team staying here and I'll vote for EVERY ONE of you next time out.
Give the Suns a deal that makes it worth their while to stay.
Do the right thing-for once.

Will try to be back later with the intended post on the Devils shootout loss to St.Louis.

-

No comments: