Saturday, March 17, 2012

Talking hoops!

This is not a true cleaning of the inbox as usual,but more of an assortment of thoughts on a day that sees college hoops all day long.

I am not the college fanatic that I was once was.but I still enjoy the time of year,rooting for Ohio State and Xavier,pulling for the huge upsets that make the tournament so much fun to watch,even when they destroy my brackets (Thanks Missouri).

I loved Duke's shocking loss to Lehigh and I did watch the end of that one and give it up to the Patriot League,which not only had the Lehigh win,but saw Patriot member and regular season champion Bucknell travel to top seeded Arizona and dump the Wildcats in their bracket of the NIT.
I have always enjoyed watching the Patriot League on various local sports channels and the atmosphere in some of their arenas can be crazy considering the sizes of the schools and arenas involved.
Lehigh,Bucknell and American all won 20 or more games this season in a strong campaign for the Patriot League..
Congratulations to the Mountain Hawks and Bison!

I did not watch Ohio State's easy Thursday win over Loyola MD.,but I did get to watch the entire Xavier game and their win over Notre Dame.
The Musketeers have the door open to the Sweet 16 as instead of playing Duke as expected,they will get Lehigh instead.
I am not taking Lehigh lightly,but their win does give a less difficult road there on paper.
I am still deciding as I type on whether I want to do a recap of Xavier's win or future wins,so we will have to see about that.

Xavier has the talent to make a run,but things have never seemed to be in sync as perfectly as they did before the craziness at the Crosstown shootout.
Xavier does have the type of senior presence though that could go a long way in the tournament and the Duke upset could be just the ticket to clear the path a bit.
Tu Holloway is just the type of point guard(17 second half points against Notre Dame) that can take a team on a roll and I just have a funny feeling that the win over Notre Dame can put the Muskies on their way for a while.

Ohio State gets Gonzaga tomorrow at 2:45 and with the Devils taking on the Penguins at one,I will likely miss the beginning of the game,but should be able to watch the second half.
Not sure if I will be doing a recap or not,as the same applies to the Buckeyes as to the Musketeers.

Ohio schools went 4-0 in the first round with wins by aforementioned Ohio State and Xavier in addition to Cincinnati and Ohio U,who pulled an upset over michigan.
Wonder what Brady Hoke thinks about the Wolverines losing to Ohio with his constant calling of OSU as "Ohio"?
That whole thing is childish anyway,so anything that draws attention to that silliness is a plus to me.

The Cleveland Cavaliers released Jason Kapono after just one day on the roster after adding the veteran in the Ramon Sessions trade yesterday.
I am not sure if this was a joint decision,but if it was strictly a Cavalier decision,I am mildly surprised as I thought Kapono could have helped the team that needs outside shooting.
It could have been that a Southern California resident that played for the Lakers simply did not want to move east for a month or so to finish a season that he would have been a free agent at the end of anyway.
This might have been the best move for Kapono and likely did not make much of a difference to the Cavaliers either way.

Cleveland re-signed shooting guard Manny Harris ,who played very little in a 20 day stint earlier this season to a contract for the remainder of the season to replace Kapono on the roster and added point guard Donald Sloan from the Erie franchise of the D League earlier on Friday to replace the slot created by moving Sessions.
I know next to nothing about Sloan,but the team did need to sign a point guard to spell Kyrie Irving for the occasional breather and Sloan appears to have fit the bill.
Sloan played eight games earlier this season in stints with the Hawks and Hornets.

The Cavaliers host the Atlanta Hawks Sunday afternoon at 3,while Xavier has just announced that their game with Lehigh on Sunday will be a 7:45 tip,so I should be able to see both games in a rare occasion that things work out like that for me.

Photo Credit:Streeter Lecka-Getty Images

No comments: