The enigma that is the Ohio State Buckeyes continued on Saturday with a far closer than expected 29-15 win over the UAB Blazers at Ohio Stadium.
Braxton Miller ran for two touchdowns and Jordan Hall finished with 105 yards on the ground to pace the win.
The Buckeyes improve to 4-0 with the win and will travel to East Lansing to start Big Ten play against Michigan State next Saturday.
1) This was a very disappointing game for me as I watched the tape.I did not watch the game live (that will change next week) as I have been sleeping a lot this week and well for a change,so I did not want to get off schedule for what I figured to be a blowout.
The fact that it is wasn't makes it disappointing..
2) UAB outgained the Buckeyes and made more first downs as well.
Sometimes that stat can be deceiving as teams can score defensive touchdowns or turnovers can result in short scoring drives.
Ohio State did have one of those as a Doran Grant forced fumble and follow up recovery set one up,but for the most part that was not the case-red flag one.
3) Red flag two-Special teams allowing a blocked punt on the first punt of the game.
UAB cruised in almost untouched to block Ben Buchanan's boot and walk in the end zone.
Urban Meyer coaches the special teams,so one would think that this will addressed well before next weeks game in East Lansing....
4) One had to be pleased with the defense as the unit kept the Blazers out of the end zone (Special teams TD and three field goals) especially considering the game was without injured Bradley Roby...
5) Some compare Braxton Miller to Terrelle Pryor as running quarterbacks.
Other than effectiveness,there is little in common.
Pryor ran with a gliding style and was a much more powerful runner.
Miller runs with moves that make you think of a running back with cutbacks and fakes.
Totally different style..
6) Cutting this one short today,but one final point-Ohio State is 4-0.
They should be.
However,how they have gotten there when you consider the competition makes me worry.
The offense has basically been Braxton Miller runs around and occasionally throws a deep ball.
I think they will mature as the season goes on,but next week looms very large after a less than strong non-conference run,,,
Photo Credit:Cleveland Plain Dealer