A day late,but the Winnipeg Jets surprised a flat New Jersey Devils team and grabbed a 4-2 decision Sunday night at the Rock.
The Devils received goals in the second period from Travis Zajac and Steve Bernier to hold a 2-1 lead before three unanswered goals lifted Winnipeg to the win.
The Devils will visit Winnipeg on Thursday...
1) Martin Brodeur was scheduled to get the start,but had issues in the pre-game warmups and was unable to play.
The Devils announced that the issue is with Brodeur's back and they did not say if Brodeur would be able to play in Winnipeg.
2) Considering the lack of preparation time for Hedberg,he did not play that poorly,but he was not sharp either.
Hedberg had one goal go off his glove and another was attributed to a missed poke check.
I could give him a pass because of the circumstances,but still...
3) Evander Kane's goal came off a very soft Adam Larsson pass.
Young or not,that was a pass that in that area needed to be zipped with some velocity.
Larsson just handed the puck in open ice to a speedy finisher and New Jersey paid the price.
4) The officials missed a call late in the game as Ron Hainsey covered and threw the puck out of the crease .
Marek Zidlicky took the puck and fired it into the net.
I could have lived with a penalty or a penalty shot,of course a goal would have been better,but to get nothing with a referee standing right in front of the play?
5) Just a dull,listless performance and a continued lack of pop from the offense.
I cannot blame the loss of Dainius Zubrus on the decreased production,but the team definitely needs something and it might take more than Alexei Ponikarovsky for that.
The defense bunch is less than strong and I cannot say I am thrilled with them considering the money spent on some of them.
This might be a short term issue,but I am somewhat concerned about the play of late and it needs to pick before a slump becomes a habit...