Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jordan Conley Interview-Part 1

We start another interview today with Jordan Conley.
Jordan is a relief pitching prospect with the Miami Marlins and is a former standout at Xavier University.
Jordan was a member of the 2010 SAL Champion Greensboro Grasshoppers and split last season between High A Jupiter and AA Jacksonville.
Thanks to Jordan to taking the time to do an interview with us....


ThoughtsofRS:  You played shortstop at Xavier as well as being their closer,tell me a bit about playing shortstop in the college game.....

JC: I can't think of a better position on the field to play. On average I would say you are involved in more plays in a game besides the pitcher and catcher. I would rather have it come my way than anyone else. That is just the way you have to think, you have to be confident in your ability. That's why you practice to master your skill everyday. Its still the same game as high school as it is in college but it just gets faster at every level.
 
TRS: You set the record for Saves in a season at Xavier,did you think that pitching was your ticket to pro ball or did you think you had a chance as a hitter?

JC: I really never thought of myself as a pitcher. I have always done both but I have always considered myself a shortstop first. I just wanted to play the game day in and day out. I just can't understand why you would want to sit and wait to pitch on a given day and have the chance not to play at all. I really thought I was good enough to get a shot to play shortstop and hitter at the professional level. In fact I know I was. But I have learned to understand the development side of the minor leagues. I think I could have played short at the lower levels but as you see the young guys out of high school grow up and get better every year I realized that I probably wouldn't have progressed as well as them. I just think i got the most out of the ability God had given me and I wouldn't have progressed as rapidly as them. So if the Marlins come calling and want you to pitch then that's what you do. You don't pass up an opportunity to play pro ball just because you may be bitter for not getting a chance as a hitter.

TRS: What attracted you to attend Xavier,were there any other schools that you considered?

JC: I really just wanted to go back home and play. I went to John A. Logan Junior College in Illinois for two years as a position player only. Its no secret that I really wanted to go to the University of Cincinnati. Basically they told me I wasn't good enough. So when Xavier called and I was pumped, close to home and we play Cincinnati every year. They also wanted to give me an opportunity to pitch again. I really wanted that chance to prove Cincinnati wrong as well. I took a few visits to other schools but the only actual offer I received was from North Alabama.

TRS:  What were the advantages to playing at the mid-major level?

JC: I never really looked at it as mid-major. All I knew is that I got a chance to play at the division 1 level. For a guy that was planning on signing up for the Marine Corp as a Junior in high school I feel as if I've done alright for myself. As for being a small school I felt the underdog status when we played some big teams. You just always want to prove that you are worthy to be on the same field as those big school recruits. The only reason that those teams even know who Xavier is is because of basketball. My team was looking to change that perception in 2009 when we made out first regional in school history. I think we snuck up on some people that overlooked us.

TRS: The disadvantages?

JC: The problem with a small school/northern school is exposure to scouts. The only time they may see us during the course of the year is when we head south in early spring. It's very tough to be on your game early in the year being a northern school. You basically come straight out of the gym to playing teams that have been outside all winter. So unless you have a stud on your team the scouts aren't coming out to see you play back home.

In the next portion of our interview with Jordan Conley,Jordan discusses the draft,working his way through the minors and what he likes to throw....

No comments: