Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jordan Conley Interview-Part 2

Our interview with Miami Marlins prospect Jordan Conley continues with his stories on the draft,his pitches and his time in the NY/Penn league...

TRS: You were an undrafted free agent and then signed with the Marlins.
What was the process that you went through both in waiting to be drafted and then signing after not being selected? Were you contacted by other teams?
JC: I listened to the entire draft at my house with my Dad. I was probably about 90% sure i would get taken by someone as a pitcher. I mean I had to of filled out 10-12 prospect forms sent to me by teams. As we listened it started getting into the later rounds and I was getting pretty frustrated. Then I heard the name of another closer in the conference get called who made 2nd team relief pitcher behind me. I was fed up and didn't understand. So I helped coach the Hamilton Joes, A college summer team in my hometown who played in the Great Lakes League. During that month after the draft I was about to sign with the Florence Freedom and Independent team in the Frontier League and the Marlins called and said your leaving tomorrow. So I said I'll be there. I just wanted a chance and the Marlins gave it to me. The Rangers called a week later but I was already in Florida. That's not to say that I still didn't have a little bitterness inside from the draft. Not being drafted is still what drives me to this day. I just want to prove everyone wrong that said i was too small in high school, who didn't think I could go D1, who didn't think I was good enough to get drafted, who said I didn't throw hard enough, and the people who decided to stick me in extended spring training 2 years in row.
TRS: Why the Marlins?


JC:  I chose the Marlins because they were the first one that called. If you give me a chance then I'm indebted to you for giving me the opportunity and I going to bust my butt for you.



TRS:Tell me a bit about what you throw and what you are comfortable throwing.


JC: I throw and 4 seam fastball, changeup, and slider. I'm pretty comfortable with all three. When you don't have a power fastball then you better be able to throw all your pitches for strikes. Spotting up with the fastball is crucial for me to get ahead in the count so I don't have to show my off speed early in the count.



TRS:Which is your true "out" pitch?


JC: It would have to be my slider, but my changeup is coming along.

TRS:The NY/Penn league is known for some old ballparks and you played in one in Jamestown-any good bad facility stories?


JC: The best park in the New York Penn League was probably Aberdeen or State College but it's a big dropoff after that. Some of them were embarrassing to play at they were so bad. But the worst was probably Batavia and Jamestown was a close second. But lucky for the young Marlins they have now moved from Jamestown to Batavia. Great move right, haha. A pretty funny story in Jamestown was when second base was stolen. Literally someone stole the base off our field. The GM was convinced that it was one of the players since we lived next to the field. He even made a police report over a stolen base. He was screaming and yelling saying he was going to check every one of the players rooms and when he found it he was going to send them home. Come to find out the base turns up in a nearby field. Lets just say one of our coaches knew right where it was in the field. Is he guilty of messing with the GM? I guess we'll never know.....

No comments: