Friday, April 26, 2013

And Mingo was his name O!

The Cleveland Browns needed a cornerback badly as Dee Milliner was waiting to be selected when the sixth pick rolled around.
Milliner would have made a nice corner tandem with Joe Haden,but the Browns instead decided to go with LSU's Barkevious Mingo.
Mingo was a college defensive end that figures to easily make the transition to standup 3-4 outside linebacker opposite Paul Kruger in the Browns defensive set.
Mingo has all the physical tools,but only had 4.5 sacks last season.
One thing to keep in mind though,as much as college production means to me,there can be one exception.
Sometimes,teams that are loaded with talent spread the stats around a bit and Mingo's LSU team was one of those types of teams.

Mingo is 6'4 and a half and a lean 240 pounder that could be a special player.
I did give a small edge to Jarvis Jones (Steelers) pre-draft for his production in college,but the physical tool advantage easily goes to Mingo.
One concern that I see about Jones is about his speed and yet he will be playing on maybe the slowest track in the NFL in Pittsburgh,
That will be interesting to keep an eye on...

I like the pick,although there were others that I would have been fine with.
As I sat on the couch with the Browns on the clock,the lovely Cherie asked me who I wanted.
I said "any of these 4 and I am fine-Milliner,Mingo,Jones and Kenny Vaccaro".
No problems from me at all,Mike Lombardi is safe for one day....

Back later with news of an ugly incident at the Muni from Thursday....

No comments: