Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cleveland Browns Draft Preview-Players of Interest

The Cleveland Browns have the sixth pick in the first round and then do not pick again until the third round.
Many have written that the Browns are missing their second-rounder like they lost it in a bad deal.
I would take Josh Gordon over any wide receiver in this draft, so I look at the selection of Gordon as great value and not as a wasted choice.
I would not be against moving down a bit from six if they could add a second-rounder, but I would not want to down past 12 ideally and no further than 14 or 15 at all.

As we wrote earlier today, the position of need above all is cornerback.
The top corner is Alabama's Dee Milliner, but the bigger question is this-Is Dee Milliner at six so much better than Florida State's Xavier Rhodes, Houston's D.J. Hayden, or Washington's Desmond Trufant a few picks down?
That is the big question and one only the Browns can answer-Is Dee Milliner better than any of those three corners and a second-round pick?
I tend to say no, but if the Browns stay at 6 and select Dee Milliner, don't expect a ton of criticism from this scribe.
Of the three corners that I noted, I like Trufant the best, followed by Rhodes and Hayden, but would have problems with none of the trio...
If Cleveland decides to take a corner in the second round (after a possible trade), I like Jonathan Banks of Mississippi State or Boise State's Jamar Taylor in that spot...
 

Safety is also a need and if the Browns decide to go early, Kenny Vaccaro of Texas is the class of the bunch.
Vaccaro is the best safety prospect that I have seen in a while and is from a program that has sent several safeties to the league.
I would have no problems with the Browns tabbing Vaccaro after a trade down...
Florida International's Jonathan Cyprien or LSU's Eric Reed would be interesting day two picks...

If the Browns wanted a pass rusher early, there are plenty available and a trade down would still land a similar player as they would pick at six.
I like Georgia's Jarvis Jones, who did not work out as well at the combine or any of that stuff, but his play in the SEC was above the others in my opinion.
Jones has seen his stock fall because of that, so he may be available in the range that Cleveland could wind up in after a deal...

Most like Oregon's Dion Jordan more than I, looking at the tools and numbers.
I prefer production from players at the major college level and I cannot place my finger on why, but I have a gut feeling about Jordan being a disappointment after being picked high.

LSU's Barkevious Mingo might be a nice choice as well and I like him better than Jordan in many ways, but his college production was not what I would have liked it to be either.
Nabbing Mingo at 12 would be a bargain, at 6, mildly concerned.
Texas A&M's Damontre Moore has slid down the boards of late but can play DE or LB and I think Moore would be terrific in round two if a trade down occurs.

The inside linebacker spot also needs an addition and to me, the standout is not Notre Dame's Manti T'eo, it is Georgia's Alec Ogletree.
Ogletree is my top player at the position and if the Browns decide not to go there, round three might be time for LSU's Kevin Minter.

I don't think the D-line is a huge concern, but BYU's Ziggy Ansah has been a Browns rumor. Ansah brings stud tools, but is raw and makes me think of workout warrior.
I would have problems with that selection.
I would not be against Ohio State's John Simon and his high motor as a day three pick.

Offensively, I am not in favor of another quarterback, at least early.
This is less than great crop and I am more inclined to allow the Browns to give Brandon Weeden/Jason Campbell the year to see what happens.
I'm hoping these Geno Smith rumors are smokescreens to hope someone trades up.
I'm going to be very disappointed if that is the pick.



If the Browns take a day three flier, there are a few of interest.
Florida State's E.J. Manuel is interesting, but I bet he goes before I'd consider him and the same goes for Oklahoma's Landry Jones.
If the Browns could add an extra third through trades, I'd be interested in either.
Tennessee's Tyler Bray has the size and the best arm in the draft and that might appeal to Mike Lombardi.

I doubt the Browns pick a running back at all, but if so Texas A&M's Christine Michael has appeal as a later pick.
Michael was very productive when healthy and his injuries could cause him to fall further than he should...
A fullback might be a day three target as well...

Cleveland's wide receivers have improved, but I wouldn't be against any of these either.
West Virginia's Tavon Austin reminds me of Percy Harvin and USC's Robert Woods is going to be a standout for someone.
I also like Cal's Keenan Allen as well as two sleepers for day three.
Baylor's Lanear Sampson was overshadowed by Josh Gordon and Kendall Wright and will surprise some people and I love South Carolina's Ace Sanders as a third-down speedster and value as a kick and punt returner.

Jordan Cameron deserves a full chance to use his tools at tight end, but there are two terrific ones in this class as Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert and Stanford's Zach Ertz could go in round one.
I wouldn't be thrilled at six, but later in the round-both would offer excellent value.

I cannot see the Browns taking a tackle or center, but the guard spot could be addressed.
Of course, the standout is Alabama's Chance Warmack, who has been compared to Hall of Famer Will Shields, but guards rarely go in the upper half of the first round.
Jonathan Cooper of North Carolina could go in the first round, but two intrigue me for the Browns in the second and third days of the draft.
Brian Winters of Kent State can play tackle but might be better at guard and huge Travis Bond of North Carolina would be a road paver type that could plug in well...

I have concerns, no matter the player at six, so for once I am advocating a tradedown, but if I have to stay at six, here are my top five, if I were doing the drafting and considering who has a chance to be available.

1)  Dee Milliner CB Alabama-Breath held here.
2)  Jarvis Jones LB Georgia
3)  Kenny Vaccaro S Texas
4)  Barkevius Mingo LB LSU
5)  Chance Warmack G Alabama

Photo Credits
Browns:Cleveland.com
Milliner:Unknown
Jones:Jacksonville.com

No comments: