Saturday, August 2, 2014

Lodge Cast Iron

I know this might not be everyone's interest,but it's a slow day before I prepare for a road trip,so today's post is going to a light and short one.

I like cooking in cast iron and I think the cast iron pan is the most versatile one that I know of.
You can fry,deep fry (in a large dutch oven),grill (with a cast iron pan with raised ridges for the grill marks),bake etc.
I cannot think of a kitchen task that heats food in some way that cast iron cookware cannot perform and perform well.
Stick on it on a stove top,set on a grill or in the oven and cast iron takes care of business.
Cast iron retains heat so much better than standard cookware and things just plain taste better too!
Our chili never tastes as good as it does when we whip it up on our dutch oven!
I also am a huge fan of sausages and hot dogs in cast iron,it adds such crispness to the casings and the snap that you expect from a good hot dog and don't get me started on bacon and eggs!

You can also find about  any type of cookware shape and size too.
From skillets to hibachi grills to baking pans,cast iron just adds that zip to whatever is cooked in it!
And the additional value to cast iron?
It is almost indestructible!
As long as you care for it and don't allow it to get rusty,it's the type of cookware that you can easily pass down to your children and grandchildren!
Plus,even if it does get rusty,a few easy maneuvers and you can bring what seems to be a dead pan back to life for future uses!

Lodge is the name brand in the field and with the exception of the first pan that I ever bought,I wouldn't go elsewhere.
I couldn't bear to toss the first pan that we bought,but the Lodge items are so superior that I rarely use it.
Cherie will be getting another piece sometime for her Lodge collection (SHH,don't tell her) and I have a few ideas.
She liked the original so much that when Corey and I were in Tennessee,I saw the Lodge factory outlet and I had to buy her a set of pans!
In hindsight,had I known more then,I could have spent even more on Lodge pans.
If I am ever able to return to Tennessee for another Smokies game,I can almost promise that I'll be there buying more Lodge!
I even bought Ryan a set of Lodge pans for Christmas one year and although I don't know how much he uses them now,they will be ready when he needs them and I plan on buying Rachel a set sometime for her eventual departure (sniffle).

Lodge cookware not only does a great job in its job,it also adds a little nostalgia to time in the kitchen.
My grandparents used cast iron a lot and I'm sure it traces far further than that,but I can still smell and hear the aromas and the pop sailing through the air during times there.
I highly recommend giving cast iron cooking a try,I think you'll not only like the food cooked in it,but I bet you spend more than a few seconds imagining cooking from times gone by.....

No comments: