Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Guest Post-Binghamton Mets win the Eastern League

Today we feature a guest column from my good friend Jason Christensen.
Jason asked to do a post on his hometown team,the Binghamton Mets and their recent winning of the Eastern League title and we were happy to provide the space...


The last time the Binghamton Mets won the Eastern League championship, Jayce Boyd was 2 1/2 months from his third birthday.
Boyd ended the Mets' 20-year title drought Friday night, delivering a walk-off single after Steven Matz flirted with a no-hitter, as Binghamton completed a sweep of Richmond with a 2-1 victory.
Pinch-hitting in the bottom of the ninth inning, Boyd lined a single to center field off reliever Steven Okert to score Gavin Cecchini with the winning run and send the Mets' Double-A affiliate to the third title in team history and first since 1994.



Being in attendance for that game was one of the best sports moments I have witnessed it is only behind the Duke-Syracuse game from the Carrier Dome last season. Going into the game the Mets needed that one win and I was glad that got it done in the first try. I know when you give a team enough chances anything can happen. The crowd was unbelievable and it was nice to almost a sellout crowd especially with high school football going on.


I would actually be not telling the truth if I said I knew the Mets were going to win the Championship. In the East Division series the Mets were down to the Portland Sea Dogs two games to one and had to do almost the impossible win two games on the road. The impossible did happen they won game 4 11-4 and the final game 8-5. In my opinion those were the two best teams in the Eastern League. The Sea Dogs were a great team and still were tough even with the callups of pitcher Henry Owens, hitters Mookie Betts,Travis Shaw, and Blake Swihart they were still a tough foe. Owens, Shaw, and Swihart were called up to Pawtucket which won this years Governors Cup title.

The Mets were clearly the best team there was a few holdovers from last seasons team that had the best record through the regular season. I always say it takes more than one person to win a championship I would say a full team effort. The Mets were hit a blow to start the postseason with  second basemen Dilson Herrera being called up to the New York Mets however TJ Rivera was able to pick up the slack and was one of the key performers in the offseason. Catcher Xorge Carrillo won the MVP of the postseason well deserved with clutch hitting and a great performance behind the plate however there was two pitchers that I would say were the key performers in the bullpen during the postseason. Hansel Robles who was a starter beginning of the season pitched 6 2/3 innings and had 10 strikeouts and closer Cody Satterwhite who had two wins and two saves in the postseason also did not give up a run.


I was excited I was able to witness the final game and see the celebration also was neat was getting a photo with the Eastern League Championship I sure wasn't the only one. Writing this article it would of felt better if my friend's (That's me) hometown team Hagerstown Suns won their title but they also had a great season. I always say repeat but in minor league baseball that is tough to do.  I just hope I don't have to wait another 20 years to see it again

No comments: