Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Summer's Last Gasp

Summer is just about officially over after tonight.

I know that fall has not officially arrived for the meteorologists and for many of you,it's after the just passed Labor Day holiday,but for me its tonight.

Between the possible final home game for the Hagerstown Suns and my return to the work grind tonight following the game,summer is just about finished.
I enjoy three of the four seasons (I hate winter),so it's not all bad,but there is something about living in a baseball town (for now anyway) that makes a nice summer evening better than anything else
Certainly,I love spring because it brings baseball back after another yucky winter and I know few that love a fall weekend of a upcoming Buckeye win and Brown loss more than I,but still there is something about summer,especially a summer like this one.
A summer that didn't see the temperature hit the high 90's or bring the suffocating blanket of humidity that we all wear around like an added sweatshirt is a special thing indeed.

Alas,most good things come to a conclusion and my vacation time is in its final hours,soon to be replaced by double digit work weeks and the hassles of accumulating the time to be able to take off next summer,but here are a few things about summer that I try to recall when I'm sitting at work in the middle of January with three months to go until the next baseball season.

Sitting at the top of the Muni with my family and friends are the best things about summer to me.
Having a wife and daughter that care about the team and like going to the games is a special thing.
Anyone can go to a game and tolerate it,but to have the family care with you-very nice.
My friends have changed since I first started attending Suns games as buddies that used to go have been replaced by those that do go,but it's always nice to sit with friends-for the most part! Ha Ha.

Summer also has advantages of being able to just grab your keys and go get something without 12 layers of clothing,having to warm up the car and feel wind crashing against you like the surf hitting the sand.
Plus how many food stands that you know are winter only?
Go ahead-I'll wait.

Summer also features IFL weekend and all the friends that used to be at the Muni.
My buddies there haven't been replaced,they are still right there for me,but they are at different stages of their lives and the result is that I don't see them as much as I used to.
IFL weekend is a throwback to the past,where all is right again before the clock strikes midnight and we return to daily routine.
Speaking for myself,it's just too short.

Sandals and shorts go away to be replaced by sweats and workboots,ugh.
Yeah,that's a great deal-the summer breeze at 10;00 at night replaced by a crackling wind and the crunch of ice under your boots.
Excuse me,if I'll take summer there!

Anyway,tonight is the end of summer for me,unless the Suns can win two out of three against Greensboro,its pretty much over.
If they can do that,well,I'll get a one to three night reprieve for the championship series.
Enjoy the fall as I will,but give a nod to the aging summer too,this one has set a high standard to reach.

I'll be back tonight with a recap of game one of the Northern Division title series and my thoughts on the possible last Hagerstown home game of the year....

No comments: