Thursday, December 31, 2015

Another Goodbye-Superior Ice Cream

Time for another goodbye,but not to a passed athlete,actor or politician.
This time,the goodbye goes to a business as Superior Ice Cream (nee' Dairy) ends its business today after 80 years in Hagerstown....

To almost anyone above 25,Superior has meant ice cream in Hagerstown and when either as a child or taking your child there,Superior was the place to go when you were in the mood for ice cream or other sweet treats.
Superior had to have taken hit after hit over the last 20 years or so as competitors to its kingdom arrived in Hagerstown and each created its own niche'.
The Big Dipper showed up first with an ice cream challenge not far away and others such as The Meadows (Frozen Custard),Sweet Frog (Frozen Yogurt) and Rita's (Italian Ice) each took a slice of the territory and between those and the lack of foot traffic near the Superior location in a residential neighborhood,one could see how tough keeping things going at Superior could be...

Small businesses are having a rough time today and I doubt that places like Rita's or the Meadows (as good as they are!) will have the same endurance in the area like Superior did,although the type of memories that are made with children are more about who you made them with than what you had as a snack.
I'm starting to think that the chain places (as good as some of them are) are just too big and every time that a Superior goes down that a place of its type isn't going to go up.
What will survive that my kids remember fondly?
It's a sad thing to think about-any time there is growth,something gets pushed aside.

I'm sad to see Superior go by and even sadder that there is one less neighborhood place to go to.
I used to take the kids there (Ryan especially after a ball game) a decent amount,but in recent years,I didn't go as much.
It feels like a loss and it is,but I wasn't a regular customer of late.
I still remember going after shopping events or church as a kid on our weekly trip to Hagerstown.
I usually ordered a banana split or got a orange sherbet cone and yesterday when I stopped in for the last time,I made sure to get a banana split.
It was one final tip of the hat to the past.
A past that we aren't getting back-guess that just means I'm getting older....

No comments: