Thursday, December 24, 2015

Eating on the Flip Side and Rascal House

Going to Cleveland with Rachel offered me some opportunities to eat at some places that both I ordinarily wouldn't and maybe even in some cases,couldn't afford.
You can find my reviews of these places now in the links page on the right hand side of the blog as "TRS on Trip Advisor".

The best two meals that I had were at places that I had never eaten at and heard before the trip.
I always try to read up to find places before a trip and skimmed Trip Advisor to as well,so in researching-I discovered that most people think that Rascal House ranks as the best Cleveland pizza,so I made a note of that before we left as pizza seems to be a hotel room staple.
After the first day of Rachel's "project" and food,we were all starving,so pizza looked to be the choice.
Before I ordered though,I asked my friend and local Brian Kelley for his opinion on the best Cleveland pizza and his response was Rascal House-that's when I knew I was onto something.
I didn't get pictures because I just didn't think of it,so the shown picture is from someone's else camera,but it is enough to give you the point.

I've raved about Donna D's in Ashland in the past and I talked to the manager there about the difference in their pizza and the New York style that thrives here along with the lauded Chicago Deep Dish version.
He called it "Cleveland Pizza"and said he was originally from Cleveland and brought their pizza to Ashland.
After looking (and eating) at Rascal House,I can easily make the connection.
I ordered a deluxe,the ladies a "white pizza" and we each ordered some boneless wings (hot for me and BBQ for them) and all was excellent.
I highly recommend Rascal House and if you are ever in the Cleveland area-make Rascal House your place for pizza.....

The other great place I found was right down from our hotel-the Flip Side.
I had never heard of the Flip Side before our trip and once I saw it,I wanted to give it a chance.
It's kinda of small,but it's more cozy than small.
The boast is of serving all Ohio beef,so you get a quality item that has never been frozen.
The menu was given to me by the hotel desk and Cherie immediately found the burger that she knew I would order-the appropriately named "Shawn burger"!
No kidding-the perfect burger (minus tomato) for me-Pickles,onion,bacon,mayo and cheese!
Only peppers and mushrooms were missing and I could have made this burger myself!
Combine that with an order of cheese fries that Cherie and I split and you had a great dinner,but we weren't stopping there after another day of mediocre lunch.
We added an appetizer of a delicious tempura battered asparagus and shiitake mushrooms that had to be tasted to be believed and milk shakes that came with straws made of real chocolate!
This admittedly was a high cal meal,but considering the low cal rest of the day-I'm OK with it!
The Flip Side has five locations in Ohio and I'm going to keep my eye to be able to get flipped again!

I ate at other places on the trip and I may add them to a future blog,but I really wanted to write about these two places in particular!!!
Back later with maybe a Christmas podcast!!!



No comments: