Monday, April 2, 2018

Browns sign Jeff Janis

This note is from a few days ago, but I still wanted to write a few words about the Browns latest signing as this is intriguing to me and might have slipped through the news a bit.

The Browns signing of Jeff Janis made me think about him in Cleveland as a supporting cast member of the wide receiving corps.
After all, the name Jeff Janis is a name that I often read over the last few years as a potential fantasy sleeper and I wondered if he just wasn't a guy that fell into a decent WR bunch, so didn't break out against strong competition.

Janis is 6'3, runs extremely well and looking at his stats, his career yards per catch is close to 12 yards per catch and looks the part of a pass catcher that just needed a chance.
I checked out some of the Packer sites and many of those people were more upset about losing Jeff Janis than Jordy Nelson ( keep in mind, they think they are losing the injured Jordy Nelson that is beaten up and almost broken) to the point of leaving me pondering just why Green Bay isn't trying harder to keep this guy.

So what else do I do- well, when it comes to asking about the Green Bay Packers-I have one go-to source who I respect impeccably, after all, I trained him!
I asked Ryan about Jeff Janis ( he called me back from a dinner in beautiful Clearwater, Florida) and here are a few of his comments.
" Great special teams gunner" "Terrific on special teams, arguably the best in the league", "Cannot catch a cold" "Has horrible hands" "Has had chances to beat out players that he should have like Trevor Davis, who's terrible and didn't", "Will show enough flashes to make you think he'll break out and doesn't" "Occasionally makes a big play because no one covers him" and finally "Will be a huge factor on special teams, fans will love him there, but asking him to be more than a 5th wide receiver is more than he'll deliver"

Jeff Janis brings some interesting skills and size to Cleveland at a cheap rate and should prove to be a helpful and popular player on the specialty teams with the occasional big play on offense.
Asking more than that seems to be a reach.
Thanks to Ryan for taking the time to discuss Jeff Janis...


No comments: