Friday, April 6, 2018

Reading and Listening

I wanted to do an occasional series that mentions some of the sites and podcasts that I enjoy quite often, some almost every day, so they might pick up some pub and maybe some of you might enjoy their work as well!
I'm going to recommend two sites and two podcasts each time that I roll this ball out, so I'm deliberately keeping the number down.

I often read SWC Roundup, which I stumbled upon one day on Twitter.
The roundup covers every college football team in the state of Texas with the name and tongue in cheek premise of the old Southwest Conference coming back together.
It covers the teams currently, but also often writes history pieces, which I love.
I wish the people behind this site would consider a podcast that would look back at SWC history because if it is anything like the site would be tremendous!

And the first place that I go for sports coverage is the Athletic.
It gets better and better as they hire excellent writers that have been released from other ventures from the various organizations that continue to downsize and I mean that-literally they get better every day.
It is a pay site, but with quality writing and NO advertising, it is the only pay site that I use.
If you want to try it- use this link and toss me a few Amazon dollars for the referral!
Seriously though, if you are a serious fan- I think once you try it and see the familiar names writing there, I think you'll stick around!

As far as podcasts go, I usually listen to Browns Scout Podcast with Scott Dryden and Brad Ward.
Scott used to do the TRS podcast (when I used to be motivated-Ha!) and gives great analysis on the draft with a Cleveland focus.
Scott knows his stuff-even if he does prefer Josh Allen to Sam Darnold!

And for boxing, I listen to both shows that Steve Kim works on.
Not just because I'm a fan of Steve's work and not because he often retweets stuff that I write (It's amazing the numbers jump when Steve RT's compared to not), it's because it's good boxing talk.
The Three Knockdown Rule with Mario Lopez (Yes,of Saved by the Bell fame, but he knows the game) is very entertaining and fast paced with boxing talk.
The Next Round with Gabe Montoya is a longer show, more in-depth and a drier show more for the hardcore boxing fan, but still interesting and a staple of mine at work for a good listen.
I'd recommend the former for the more casual fan or the one still learning the sport, but both are great podcasts.
Drop Steve a line on Twitter and tell him TRS sent you!
I have to get around to sending some stuff into those shows, I miss being part of the boxing podcast world!




1 comment:

John said...

You mention Reading (and Listening) as something you like to do. We met in Hagerstown a few years ago in the stands and our book is out now. Thought you might like see it. Kindle has it with a free look. Amazon has it and it can be picked up from our publisher. Black Rose Writing

Ballpark 2 Ballpark - Journey Through The Minor Leagues - Vol 1

John and Vicki Hoppin - www.ballpark2ballpark.com and on Twitter - @BPark2BPark

I enjoy popping in on your emails about twice a week. Keep it up!....John