Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Now the countdown starts.

It's all over now.

Oh, just the 2018 election, I give this about a week and the words will change from looking back at 2018 and looking forward to several issues.

The clock now begins on looking down the Mall (Washington reference) on the 2020 Presidential election, does the current office-holder make it to 2020, just what does Robert Mueller have on said officeholder and assuming that he does, who will he run against?
Also with the Democrats winning the House, just what's going to come out of that?
Will we finally see those elusive and long-promised tax returns? Will the Democrats go after impeachment or will they decide that a politically damaged Trump would be easier to deal with and defeat?
How will the President handle a body that isn't inclined to give him what he wants and send any agendas of his back to the beginning?
How will he handle any truly devastating news from the investigation of him?
Will the noted "counterpuncher" fight back and if so, will any of it be based in reality?
Or will he do what I have suspected that he would do all along if faced with any type of opposition to what he wants to do and do what bullies do- take his ball and go home?

All interesting questions and the next year to eighteen months will be extremely interesting to watch, but I'm not going to write about those or any predictions.
One thing that Donald Trump has been able to do is to give me an awful record in trying to figure out what his successes will be and just when he crosses that line of "OK, enough is enough" for people predisposed to back him up.
I keep thinking that time is close and he keeps whipping me to death, so I'll refrain from jumping off that cliff again.

No, for this time, I'm going to keep the President on the periphery, you should know if you've been here my feelings on him (soon to be 35 years and counting, folks!), so let's put him aside for the most part.
Instead, I'm going to say something that few may agree with.
Divided Government can be good.

Gridlock isn't all bad.
I know, I know, it often seems that things don't flow through as most of us would wish, but bear with me.
Gridlock means that one party or the other cannot slam a slanted agenda through, just because they can.
I hated the Democrats for changing the 60 vote rule in the Senate to a simple majority and it wasn't over policy.
I thought it set a bad precedent, no one keeps power forever and it could haunt you eventually.
It was short-sighted thinking and it didn't look at the larger picture.
The Republicans took advantage of that opening, like Ezekiel Elliott running through Alabama, enabling their projects to get through without opposition and left a helpless opposition gasping for air and fuming in frustration, much like the Crimson Tide defense on that night now that I think about it.

Our country is divided politically and that is caused by so many on each side relentlessly culling reasonable people that are willing to work together for what's best for the entire country, not a modified version that suits only their agenda.
I've never been able to understand when compromise became such a bad thing, I was always raised to believe that if two sides walk away from a deal and neither are completely happy, then the deal was likely one that was fair and reasonable.
Divided government forces people to work together, divided government fleshes out ideas and divided government may take time to produce a result, but like making sausage, it may not be fun to watch being made, but the final product is often well worth the wait.

I'm a centrist, I believe both sides have some ideas and agendas that I believe in.
I don't think either side is entirely right and I think both sides nominated simply awful candidates for 2016, which helped lead us to the messy crossroad that we are currently at.
Divided government isn't all bad and it might be arriving at just the time when we need it the most.

That ends my political talk for a year or so.
Hope I didn't make too many of you angry.
Back later tonight with something new!

No comments: