Friday, October 14, 2011

Cleaning out the Inbox

Lots of stuff that needs dumped from the inbox,so before it overflows-let's get to the cleaning...

First,we go after our local winners for fighting a proposed site for SONIC  to come to Hagerstown.
Now the proposed site is not a great one ( on the Dual Highway),but the fact is that we can get Sonic to come here and the city is worried about traffic issues?

An aside to non-locals that decide to bring businesses/build buildings here- avoid the Dual Highway.
It looks the part,if you do not live here,but as those of us that do know that the Dual Highway is something that you drive on to get somewhere else.
There may not be a worse place to build for food and shopping than the Dual Highway,yet every out of towner selects that area to build in and then is stunned when it fails....

The first local McDonald's is about to end its run at the original location later this month in favor of a newer,glitzier store down the street.
The huge Ronald McDonald that the article here said arrived from Texas in 1973 has already been taken down,but owner Mark LeVine says he will put Ronald up at one of the other local stores that the family owns,if the zoning board permits.
The Sharpsburg Pike store looks to be the best fit as it runs along I-70 and Ronald could be easily seen from the interstate.
Part of me wishes that the new North End store would get Ronald,but LeVine says that would not be allowed.
I have already said my goodbyes to the McDonald's of my youth last month,if you are a local and want to do the same,better hurry as you look to have a little over a week to do so..

Nice to see former Maryland head coach Ralph Friedgen is not bitter about his firing from College Park.
The Terrapin alum claims to have "Burned his diploma" from Maryland.
I realize Maryland football is the joke of the nation right now with the ridiculous helmets and uniforms from entering the bed with Under Armour,but burning your diploma seems a bit harsh,if he actually did so....

Good for fans of the cancelled ABC soaps All my Children and One Life to Live as both shows and much of their casts have signed up to keep their shows alive on-line on the new Online network.
Word has it that the new shows will be available everyday on line and the shows will be shown on a week or two delay on a cable network to be named.
Good for the shows,the people behind the Online network and especially the fans of the programs.
I know from growing up with my late aunt how dedicated the soap fans are and good for them for not allowing the shows that they love to sink without a fight.
Sinking is what I hope to see from ABC's replacement shows-more of the same stuff that one can see 24/7 on several different cable channels...

There will be pro basketball whether the NBA plays or not as the NBADL will continue play.
The Cleveland Cavaliers announced their affiliate in Canton as the Canton Charge with a logo that looks much different from what they intended.
I love the colors,but they intended it to look like a charging Cavalier with his sword.
What it actually looks like is an version of the old cartoon character Super Chicken flying through the air.

When I saw the article on the issues with Sonic coming to town,I stumbled across this link in the Hagerstown Herald-Mail.
Thelma Mellott was my bus driver in middle school and I figured that she had long left the bus driving behind.
I always liked her and she was very nice to me,but she did not tolerate a lot of bad behavior on the bus.
The article refers to her as "pint-sized".but I believe it when the article says that you would never know it on the bus.
Mrs.Mellott seemed far larger behind the wheel and she still had the same bus number from when I rode the bus thirty years ago-7C.
Best wishes to her in her retirement from a job that very few could do well...

Finally to those of you that enjoyed last years vacation showdown of the Barberton Chicken houses from Food Feuds,get ready for another,if I am able to go.
Akron Ohio has a battle for the best cheeseburger and I plan on seeing which one will be my champion.
Why mine?
Rachel is our chicken hawk and does not like burgers,so maybe the lovely Cherie will be my fellow judge this time?
Either way,the battle comes down to Swenson's and their Galley Boy against Skyway and their Sky-High.
Who will get the call?
I'll be writing about it here-IF I get to go!

For more on this Food Feud,Tom Noe over at Exploring Food My Way takes his turn at the battle with his looks at Swenson's and Skyway.

No comments: