Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cleaning out the Inbox

Apologies for missing the Devils loss to Ottawa on Monday.
Lots going on at the world headquarters and things were and still are hectic for a while.
I decided instead of doing a recap of a game from a few days ago,I'll dump the inbox and get that finished....

First,a goodbye to Fred Talbot at 71.
The journeyman pitcher would likely have been long forgotten.if not for his appearance in Jim Bouton's classic Ball Four as a Bouton antagonist.
Talbot was the target of two practical jokes in the book,most famously for his homer for Donald Dubois in "Home Run for the money",which was a promotion of the Seattle Pilots for fans.
Talbot received a letter from Dubois,(written by Bouton) offering him a stake from the winnings,which was not the case.
Ryan and I have used "Dear Mr Talbert" (spelling error as in the book) too many times through the years to count....

My favorite classic baseball site is Hardball Times and they are doing a series on the Cubs which has been very interesting.
The series has completed two parts comprising of 1961-65 and 1966-69.
Good stuff whether you are a Cubs fan or just a fan of 60's baseball....

Cannot believe the Olympics have removed wrestling from the games.
With all the trash sports that have been added through the years and the one that is picked to go is one that dates back to the original games?

Another Grantland score with this one on the splintering of the Big East.
I am only a casual college hoops fan,but the proposed conference of the hoops only schools with a few additions might pique my interest.
Any league that will not breaking itself up for football might earn a fan in me...

More Grantland as Grill em all takes Best Coast guitar man Big Bobb Bruno as he talks Best Coast,the guitar and burgers.
I just discovered Best Coast in the last six months or so,but I listen to their stuff a lot....

You all know my long time opinion on Gus Johnson being the worst announcer around,but the media is starting to catch on too!
Will Leitch says what I have been saying for years here.
Take that with the news that Fox is grooming Johnson for its main voice for soccer and finally there is Gus Johnson news that I can get behind!










No comments: