Friday, February 15, 2013

Jordan Conley Interview-Part 4

We continue our interview with Miami Marlins prospect Jordan Conley.
I'll have Devils coverage (which so few of you read Ha Ha) over the next two days and then finish off our interview with Jordan after that.
I'll then take a few days off before starting our next interview..

TRS: The jump from High A to AA is often thought of as the most difficult,did you find it to be different and if so,how?


JC: I would say this is very accurate. The hitters are smarter and much more talented. they will sit on that one pitch and if they get it they usually don't miss. At lower levels they might foul off that pitch but in AA they don't miss it. You have to spot up and execute your pitches. If you miss a spot your going to pay for it. Also as a reliever and a 5 games series they might see you multiple times in a week long series so they know you and what pitches you tend to throw in certain counts. So execution of your pitches is essential to survive as well as changing up your tendencies.


TRS: What is good or bad about playing in the somewhat sterile environment of the Florida State League?

JC: I guess you just have to look at it as you still have a job and its all part of your development to get to the next level. All the guys in the big leagues had to do the same thing so you just have to motivate yourself a little more everyday. It's weird sometimes playing in an empty stadium so you can't thrive off of that fan energy. That's where your own self motivation has to kick in. You have to bring out that competitiveness from within that drives you to be the best for yourself and your team whether the fans are there or not. Look, I know about no fans since I went to a small school. It's nothing new, if you don't have it within you to want to beat each and every hitter that steps into the box in whatever league your playing in then you're probably not cutout for a competitive sport.

TRS:  Looking back at the SAL,FSL and Southern Leagues,did you have any favorite parks and/or cities in each of those leagues?

 JC:  Although I haven't been to all of the places in the Southern League the one that stands out the most is Pensacola. its a brand new park with a great fan base. not to mention the park is right on the ocean. It helped that it is the affiliate of the Reds which is my hometown team in which I'm not afraid to say that I still pull for except when they play the Marlins of coarse. I did get the opportunity to play at Fenway when I was in the NY/Penn League which was a chance of a lifetime.

TRS; Least favorite in each?

JC:The worst was definitely Hagerstown. I could go on and on about that place as I did before but I think I'll leave it at that.

Editor's Note:Ever wonder why every person that does an interview with TRS ranks Hagerstown and the Muni at the bottom?????
Makes one wonder why this town even needs a new stadium, doesn't it?

Photo Credit:Jordan Conley

No comments: