Friday, January 31, 2014

Cleaning out the inbox-Sports

One last cleaning as January comes to an end, which cannot happen fast enough for me, which is very similar to what I'll be writing about the just as hated February.
Actually, the only difference between the two for me is that spring training begins.

Finally, a conclusive end to the hyped career of Victor Ortiz, who was blasted out in two rounds on FS1 last night by former champion Luis Collazo.
Ortiz was another overhyped fighter that lost in every big fight except his bout against Andre Berto, who was a similarly hyped fighter.
Ortiz didn't take a huge crack to the chin and didn't always dig deep when the going got tough and I won't miss him.
However, I wouldn't be too concerned, I bet inside of two years, Ortiz will pull a "Zab Judah" with an "I'm in the best shape of my life, I'm a new man, etc" and be back to disappoint fans...

Ryan is a casual boxing fan, but one thing that caught his eye as a kid was Boxcino.
Boxcino was an eight-man tournament in a few different weight classes in 1997 and Ryan quite enjoyed it.
The tournament produced an eventual world champion in Acelino "Popo" Freitas and a world title challenger in J.C. Candelo, so it was worth the promoter's time.
ESPN will be bringing back Boxcino with tournaments at 135 and 160 pounds starting in February.
I'm looking forward to it!

More Astrodome talk.
I still believe the Dome should be saved and not just because the Bad News Bears upset the Houston Toros there.
It was the first of its kind and shouldn't there be something for things that were the first of their time?
I know things need to come and go, but I still think some should be saved and the Astrodome ranks at the top.
And that isn't just because I want an Astrodome seat either!

Tony Grossi answers some questions on another crappy season for the Browns, which are interesting and yet painful.
These deal with questions about various personnel decisions by Joe Banner/Mike Lombardi and answer some things that have made Cleveland fans wonder...

That cleans up the inbox sports edition.
I'll be adding a non-sports version soon!








No comments: