Friday, January 24, 2014

Making you think of what could be

Vague title,isn't it?
A friend of mine that I haven't seen in years,but through the wonders of Facebook,I know whats going on in his life a bit.
We are not close,haven't seen each other in years,but I knew his dad and was astonished to hear of a heart attack recently.
Things appeared to be on the upswing and then to my surprise at work,found out that his dad had passed away.

That made me think of two things-health and my dad.

It's scary to think that my parents are reaching senior citizen age.
That the big strong man that I grew up believing in is beginning to show his age and that means I am as well.
My father and I are in a position over the last year and a half that we have never been in before and it is quite scary to see people of similar ages going away.
It makes me think of lost time.
Time that can never be gotten back,but can be filled if we can only catch up.

The rehabilitation of my father and I's relationship comes as another close relationship of mine has walked off the stage and although one never says never,there is massive doubt on my part on any future rebuilding.
I don't think that either party has had any interest in sowing those seeds,I know I don't.
Sometimes you just have to say "I give",keep the good memories and move on for the best of both parties.
It's dealing with what is instead of what was or what could be and I don't think that's a bad thing-again for both parties.
However,it has been worth the work that both Dad and I have put in and this particular passing of my friend's dad has especially hit home.
My father and his were likely roughly the same age and it makes me think of what I could be going through and what I eventually will be forced to.
It's a scary and eye widening thing...

It also makes you not want to put your kids through the same thing.
I've tried getting into better shape before and I've written about it as well.
Perhaps it may time to try a different tack.
Not sure what that will be,but the time feels right.
Not saying I'll succeed,but I think it's time to try again.
I sure don't want Cherie and my kids to deal with that before it is necessary.

Quite an eye opener this morning.
Thinking of what is,what was and how much better things might be...

Back later with a return to Devils hockey after missing three games due to work!


No comments: