Saturday, March 22, 2014

Duck Tape?

Yes.
Duck Tape.
That obscure little tape that was so versatile that you could use it to patch up almost anything,even if it didn't look all that great doing it, has moved from my tool area (I have one,even though I'm not very good at fixing anything) to possibly ranking right with the New Jersey Devils as Rachel's passion in life.

I never gave Duck Tape (the name brand of this item) much thought as the choices were usually black or gray,only was used when needed and was just another tool in the box to be brought out when needed,which is my house was occasionally at best.
But in the last two or three years,this tape has become part of the household vernacular,added to my regular stops in stores and a major portion of making my daughter happy.

Rachel has a talent.
A talent that I just cannot fathom as I have the artistic/craftpersonship abilities of the leopard gecko and things that she does with this little roll of tape that I would use in vain attempts to keep something useful or even taping a package to be mailed stuns me,because she certainly did not get this ability from me.

This humble tape now comes in more designs than you can think of ranging from colors (Neon Pink?) to sports teams,cartoons,etc.
If you can think it,they might have it available in Duck Tape.
The happiest that I have seen my daughter since this day was when we were in a Wal-Mart and watched her discover rolls of a discontinued and rare pastel tape.
Yes,we got them all for the record.

Rachel has made wallets of several different styles,handbag,purses,pillows,flowers and other items that I'm sure are escaping me right now and they hold up very well.
Surprisingly well as usually homemade items simply aren't very durable,but between the hardiness of the product and Rachel's skill in making them,they hold up very well.
I even own one,although I told Rachel that I am holding it in reserve until my wallet dissolves (mine is a Cleveland Browns).

It's funny that something as recent as a few years that I would not have given a second thought to has become a source of income for Rachel.
That's right-source of income as not does Rachel sell her creations at Simply Duck Designs,but she now gets paid by a marketing company for her videos on YouTube.
Check the Simply Duck Designs YT below out and please watch the ad,that's the money maker!
Rachel now has nearly 2,000 subscribers waiting for her words,creations and whatever else she wants to discuss on a given day,which is hard for me to fathom,but what do I know,I have a fraction of that number that read this thing and I've doing it far longer!
I love the tutorial below with the ruler that is so old that it pictures the Los Angeles Rams and the St.Louis FOOTBALL Cardinals!
Rachel even is making an appearance at the Duck Tape Festival in Avon,Ohio for this stuff.
Apparently,this is the Super Bowl of Duck Tape and Rachel selected this as her graduation trip.
Cherie and I are fortunate,other kids are hitting the beach to get torn up and who knows what else and my daughter wants to do the Duck Tape Festival with Mom and Dad.
We've been blessed.

As much as this seems to be a snoozer of a time for me,I did manage to get an Akron Rubber Ducks game out of it and a stop in Ashland for the usual "supplies"-Pizza,Jones Potato Chips and a trip to Grandpa's Cheese Barn,so it'll be some fun,but it is time with the family that creates memories and who knows who you'll meet at a festival.

A tape,a skilled child,the internet age and a little marketing (I need to learn her secrets) and my daughter has created quite a little niche for herself.
I'm very proud.









2 comments:

Ryan H. said...

That's my ruler, too.

Shawn said...

I know,Ryan.....