Wednesday, June 25, 2014

On the signing front

We return to the signing front in an attempt to keep that pile down!
At this time of year,resistance is often futile,but it might keep it from growing to two piles soon!

We start the signing front with the Chicago White Sox doing double duty with the Winston-Salem Dash visiting Frederick and the Kannapolis Intimidators hitting Hagerstown.
The Dash didn't have a large amount of cards,but I did have a sprinkle of things.
The most notable were Courtney Hawkins on a Bowman and a Bowman Blue Wave Refractor,
Tim Anderson on his Bowman and Rize and Jacob May on his Bowman and Great Falls Voyagers card.
However, I was happy to get Brad Goldberg on his Great Falls card and asked the former Ohio State star to add Go Bucks! to his cars.
When guys from Ohio State and Xavier have cards,I like to get that inscription on the card.
I think it makes it pretty cool,in my opinion and since they are my cards.....

The Kannapolis visit saw me get one Hagerstown card as Drew Ward signed his Panini Elite insert.
That's a neat card because it is numbered one of 200 as in the first one off the assembly line.
At least it was to me.
Kannapolis was led by second rounder Tyler Danish,who was dominating in his start against the Suns and was soon to be headed to Winston-Salem to join the Dash.
Danish signed all four cards for me -his Bowman,Elite,Bristol and Appalachian top prospect card.
Other nice additions were Andrew Mitchell (USA and Great Falls),Trey Michaelswski and Cleutius Rondon,but my favorite might have been former Rockies prospect Carl Thomore.
Despite being in the Rockies system,Thomore had never been to Hagerstown and I always like getting older (in some cases) cards signed that I thought would be buried in the box....
I also was able to get Nationals roving instructor Jeff Garber on his 1991 Line Drive (Love those) and long time favorite Buddy Bell on his 1976 SSPC with the Indians with the V-8 juice Indians uniforms....

I also took Rachel to Frederick for the Potomac Nationals and her hero Will Pinwica-Worms.
While Rachel got to see WPW,I added three cards.
Shawn Pleffner on his Bowman,John Simms on a USA Chrome and Oscar Tejada on his last year's Indianapolis Indians issue.

Thanks to Jason Christensen for his shipment of stuff from Binghamton and cards from the visiting Portland Sea Dogs.
The biggest addition from Binghamton was Kevin Plawecki on his heritage,but the best (as in Carl Thomore above) was Cody Satterwhite,who finally signed his USA card from years ago.
Satterwhite had suffered injuries while in the Tigers organization and I bet that card had been up and down the East Coast several times!
The best Portland additions were Deven Marrero and Travis Show,but Jason was able to fill in a lot of the Salem 2013 championship team set.
That was a great idea by Salem and I wish more teams would consider doing those types of sets...

I started working on the Hagerstown Suns team set during their series with the Lakewood Blue Claws.
This worked out mainly because I had a total of three cards for Lakewood.
The Suns main prospects are mostly pitchers other than third sacker Drew Ward and I got all of them quickly in Lucas Giolito,Austin Voth,Jake Johansen and Nick Pavetta...

I did a postgame trip to Harrisburg with Derreck and Brad for the New Britain Rock Cats.
I didn't have a ton for the Rock Cats,but I did manage to get a few finished with the most notable being former Brave Sean Gilmartin and pitching prospect Adrian Salcedo.
My favorite was an older Panini that I missed on last season with Pat Dean in his Boston College togs.
That was the last year that Panini had the college rights for logos and Upper Deck took them away,only to do nothing with them from the baseball card side of things...

I had only a few stragglers for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans,but some were big ones.
Joey Gallo and Jorge Alfaro signed their Top 100's,Cody Buckel signed three (Derreck would get the other two for me later in the week),Victor Payano signed his new Bowman and Chris Bostick signed both his Bowman's (2013 as an Athletic and 2014 with the Rangers).
This series reminded me of a joke on Rachel,who loves David Lyons,a star of the television show Revolution.
"Rachel ,do you want to go to Frederick and see David Lyon today".
"ARGJHHH,Really?,he will be in Frederick?"
"YEP"
"ARGGHHHH,five minutes of excitement"
"You are really this excited over David Lyon?"
"YES!"
"All over a backup catcher?"
"Huh?"
"David Lyon,the backup catcher for Myrtle Beach"
Shows her a David Lyon card.
"ARGGHHH,Dad! I hate you so much!" With a smile and laughing.
"Oh,you got me there,that was a good one,Dad,I have to admit"!

Two Certified cards from the non-baseball world with
LPGA golfer Anna Rawson and one of my favorite players of my youth-Campy Russell of the Cavaliers.

We finish up with thanks to Tom O'Brien for his help with the Erie SeaWolves.
Tom got me Gerald Perry to add to the 88 and 90 Score collection and two top Tigers prospects in Steven Moya and Eugenio Suarez,who has already been promoted to the big league club among other players from Erie.

The pile is reduced,but far from finished,so count on another signing front soon!

No comments: