Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cleaning out the inbox-Non Sports Edition

Time for another inbox cleaning from the non-sports world,but first I wanted to thank those of you that listened to the first 3 minute introductory podcast and ask a favor of you...

If you would take the time to drop me an email,IM on Facebook,Tweet or DM on Twitter etc about what you would like to hear on the podcast.,
Would you like personal stories,I have the occasional interview planned,but would you like special guests that aren't as much interview subjects as knowledgeable friends or guests to just riff on specific subjects?
Of course my boxing friend would be Ramon Malpica,but I could have just in-house sessions on autographing,minor league baseball,the Browns etc.
Do you like me talking about myself or would you be more interested in me talking about subject matter?
Let me know as we start the podcast because I don't know unless you tell me...

Grantland has a retrospective on Parks and Recreation,which just ended a seven year run on NBC.
Parks and Rec. ranks with the Office and the Canadian comedy Corner Gas as my favorite comedies of the last 15-20 years or so.
I know many really like Seinfeld,but other than a scattering of episodes,it really didn't do much for me.
Parks and Rec. struggled with ratings and I'm starting to wonder if the traditional sitcom is starting to die off.
Sometimes these things run in cycles and even by networks,so it could be a short term issues,but I really enjoyed the people of Pawnee,Indiana.
The ironic thing is that Amy Poehler is the star,yet I have never really "gotten" the whole Amy Poehler/Tina Fey thing,but the surrounding cast is tremendous with the various characters on the male side and I'm a huge Rashida Jones fan,so that sort of makes up for it.
I'll save the rest for perhaps a slow day article on Parks and Rec and the Office,but if you haven't seen the show-give it a try....

Andrew Chaikin,who wrote an all time classic on the Apollo program writes this article on the New Horizons mission to Pluto.
This is as close to a comprehensive article as one can get in a magazine article and if you just read this article,you would know plenty for the arrival of New Horizons in July.....

Scientific American hits on a discovery of a native plant in Hawaii that looks to be endangered with just 50 plants found in the wild.
The purple foliage is quite striking and it seems as if some local scientists are having some success propagating in the greenhouse,so there is some hope,but keep in mind as the article states,one natural act such as a landslide could wipe out whatever population remains....

Epicurious crows about our favorite cookware as the cast iron skillet takes center stage.
As the article states and we've written,it truly is the one pan you can use for everything!

Looks like we might have our first interview locked up for the podcast.Might be a little bit until I get the recording issues down pat,but I think this will be a good one...

We wrap with a kinda sports note as Joe Posnanski writes about Things he's learned from Strat O Matic baseball.
Posnanski discusses the mathematical side of SOM and discusses the probabilities along with a fun of building a draft team.
I know I said no sports,but it's kind of off topic....

I still have plenty of inbox items from sports world,so perhaps tomorrow.....




No comments: