Sunday, December 6, 2015

Jacobs stretches Quillin in One! Boxing Challenge

The Boxing challenge continued as R.L.Malpica and I each earned 4 points to keep my lead at 145-140 after a Showtime televised card from Brooklyn...

R.L. is in a tough spot with the season running out and he has to pick upsets to hope for a comeback.

R.L. picked up two points from the main event as Daniel Jacobs stopped Peter Quillin in the first round of the middleweight "Battle for Brooklyn".
Jacobs simply overwhelmed Quillin with a stunning assault that sent Quillin dazed and wobbling badly away from Jacobs before a referee stoppage.
Quillin was never knocked down,but his eyes betrayed him and while I thought the stoppage was a little fast in live action,the replay showed Quillin's eyes and you could easily see that Quillin was out on his feet.
The victory cements Jacobs as the best middleweight on the PBC side,but it was notable in the post-fight interview that Jacobs didn't call out the best middles in the world-Gennady Golovkin,Canelo Alvarez etc,but instead spoke of a rematch with Qullin or maybe even the winner of the WBO title between Andy Lee and Billy Joe Saunders.
Some might look at the lack of a usual grandstand challenge (because we know one side rarely fights the other) as a lack of confidence on Jacobs part,but I look at it differently.
While I don't have any desire to see a rematch,I did like that Jacobs realizes the promotional issues and unless an sanctioning body comes in and demands a fight (the WBA could with Golovkin being their main champ with Jacobs their secondary titleholder), his outlook isn't strong for any of those guys.
I enjoyed the honesty....

I earned two points back with Jesus Cuellar's workmanlike unanimous decision over Jonathan Oquendo in a featherweight fight.
Not much to be said other than I scored it for the winner 117-111.
Chris Algeri continued his remake under new trainer John David Jackson with a unanimous decision of Erick Bone in a welterweight ten rounder.
I've been critical of Algeri in the past for a dull style and especially for his "win" over Ruslan Provodnikov,but in this fight and his close loss to Amir Khan,fans have seen a different Algeri-one willing to engage and interesting to watch.
Algeri was credited with an eighth round knockdown that really wasn't,but I still scored him a 96-93 winner in a solid action fight...

If I have time later,I may be back with the Giants signing of Jeff Samardzija,but I'll have Browns tomorrow and likely a new podcast....

No comments: