Sunday, December 11, 2016

Charlo wastes Williams,Mares edges Cuellar and Heavyweight fight of the year

The boxing challenge continued with lots of fights,I haven't seen them all,so I'll stick to the ones that I have seen.
The total for the weekend (not including the two title fights that I wrote about earlier) was ten points for me and nine for Ramon Malpica.
The total is 149-125.

Of all the fights on the two American networks and the huge British card,the fight of the day was the co-feature in England as heavyweights Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora hooked up for the heavyweight fight of the year.
I watched this on Youtube,since Showtime literally refused to show it and waited live on the air with talking heads and a ladies bout for the Anthony Joshua fight to start.
Showtime really dropped the ball as this fight was a winner from start to finish.
You want action-this one had it!
This fight was all that people say that they want from heavyweight boxing with Whyte earning a razor thin split decision in a WBC title eliminator that could see him challenge WBC champ Deontay Wilder.
I scored it 114-114 and would love to see a rematch.
Whyte knocked IBF champ Anthony Joshua down in their fight,which was Whyte's only loss,so a Wilder-Whyte fight might be lots of fun...
I added two points to Ramon's one for this win.

The HBO card saw Terence Crawford stop a outgunned John Molina in the eighth round in Omaha.
Molina came in well overweight,so this was not for Crawford's junior welterweight titles.
I give Molina credit-he never stopped coming,but he was just outclassed and lost every round...
Ramon and I each earned two points for the Crawford stoppage.
I'm not sure what's next for Crawford,who may have to move to welterweight to find a meaningful challenge.
The other HBO fight saw veteran lightweight contender Ray Beltran stop Mason Menard in the seventh round.
Ramon earned one point,while I selected Menard...

The Showtime card from Los Angeles was much better as veteran featherweights Abner Mares and Jesus Cuellar battled in a good action fight,that would have been the fight of the weekend if not for Whyte-Chisora.
Mares knocked Cuellar down in the eleventh round and that made the difference on my card,which was 114-113 in favor of the Mexican veteran.
Mares won a secondary title that will likely set up for the winner of the Carl Frampton-Leo Santa Cruz rematch for the WBA featherweight title,although Mares promoter Richard Schafer was talking about a fight versus the perpetually inactive WBC champion Gary Russell as well.
Ramon and I each picked Cuellar,so no points on that one.

The fight I was looking forward to most saw a surprise to me as I thought Julian Williams would defeat Jermall Charlo for Charlo's IBF junior middleweight title.
Instead Charlo dropped Williams in the second and fifth and finished him in the fifth round.
Charlo dominated with his jab,which knocked Williams down in the second and a right uppercut in the fifth brought the end after Williams won the fourth round on my card and seemed to be working his way back into the fight.
I've been critical of the Charlo brothers (Jermell Charlo is the WBC champion),but there was nothing to quibble about in this one as Charlo notched the best win of his career and did it in spectacular fashion.
Credit due to Charlo for this one,although he loses some for his callout of Canelo Alvarez after the fight.
I really hate it when fighters (PBC fighters do this the most) call out guys from the opposite end of the promotional/network battle when they know there is no way that such a fight is going to be made.
It is such a waste of time with such bravado when the boxing politics indicate there is no way a fight with Canelo Alvarez,who can draw with the dog can be made with Jermall Charlo for the risk and hassle of the other promotions.
Look at the hassle of Gennady Golovkin's negotiations with Daniel Jacobs for a fight that is mandated and tell me an optional fight can be made.
Enjoy your win and keep it real....







No comments: