Saturday, December 10, 2016

Heavyweight Saturday

Two of the four heavyweight titles were on the line from overseas on Saturday and with more action on tap Saturday night,it was a big day in the boxing world..

Early Saturday morning,the WBO title (Vacated by Tyson Fury) was filled in Auckland,New Zealand as hometown fighter Joseph Parker won a narrow majority decision over Andy Ruiz to win that organization's championship.
I thought the scores were fair (114-114 and two cards for Parker 115-113) and could have went either way.
I scored the fight 114-114,but being honest,it felt like Ruiz won the fight.
Sometimes,you can score a fight even and still feel that one fighter "won" the fight-this was one of those nights for me.
I've been critical of Andy Ruiz,his reluctance to get into shape and his less than competitive opponents,but I liked some of what I saw in this fight from him in his first real test against Parker.
Ruiz showed pretty fast hands (although not fast feet) and if he can stay in the gym,he could still make some noise in this division and that is not something that I would have written yesterday before this fight.
As for,the new WBO champion,Joseph Parker showed some talent and patience,but Parker needs work a little more.
I really like the Parker jab,if he can build off that,he can be a interesting fighter to follow.
Parker will be forced to make his first defense in  four months by the WBO against England's Hughie Fury.
Assuming Parker gets by Fury and I think he should-I'm all for a Ruiz rematch,

In the boxing challenge,Ramon Malpica and I each added one point for the Parker victory,

In Manchester England,Anthony Joshua mowed down overmatched Eric Molina in three rounds to retain his IBF heavyweight title.
Molina gave WBC champ Deontay Wilder some anxious moments when he challenged Wilder,but he was no match for Joshua.
Joshua's next fight will be against former champion Wladimir Klitschko in a defense of his title and the winner will receive the other title (WBA) vacated by Tyson Fury..
Ramon added three points for the win,getting the bonus point for calling the round with me adding two...

The boxing challenge stands at 139-116 with more to come.....

No comments: