Friday, April 28, 2023

Browns Select Cedric Tillman

   I was leaning towards Zach Harrison of Ohio State as my hoped-for selection with the Cleveland Browns on the clock for the first time in the 2023 NFL Draft but the selection of Tennessee wide receiver Cedric Tillman has me very intrigued.

I listed Oklahoma wide receiver Marvin Mims as my wideout for the Browns and I didn't mention Cedric Tillman for one reason- I figured there wasn't a very high chance that Tillman would be available for the Browns to choose.

Tillman had a tremendous season in 2021 for the Volunteers and was graded to be a potential first-round selection moving into the 2022 season.

An injury suffered to Tillman's ankle in mid-season caused him to miss seven games and seemed to have caused his drop down draft boards because there is little to quibble with if he is healthy.

In the six games that Tillman did play, he caught 37 passes for 417 yards and three touchdowns, which isn't shabby for six games.

Tillman is big at 6'3 213 pounds, has excellent deep speed and jumping ability, has good hands, and is noted for his blocking and aggressiveness, which is not a common trait for most wide receivers entering the league.

The only knocks that I have seen on Tillman are that he's not a big yard after the catch receiver and he can be a little stiff coming off the line of scrimmage.

I can't see any other reason for downgrading Cedric Tillman other than the ankle injury that reduced his effectiveness and caused him to miss time or perhaps some teams may have wondered about the current status of the ankle, although he did run at the NFL combine.

Cedric Tillman is a physical and aggressive football player that traits that stand out for a wide receiver and while there is some risk here, I think it's a minor risk.

I would have loved Zack Harrison (who Atlanta selected with the pick following Tillman) to add some pass rush support but by picking at 74 with their first pick of the draft, Cleveland was able to add a player that at minimum was a second-round talent and without the injury, may have been a first-rounder.

Consider me on board with the risk here as the potential reward far outshines the risk.






No comments: