Saturday, April 29, 2023

Browns select Isaiah McGuire

 When I wrote about the Cleveland Browns defensive persons of interest, I wrote that the defensive end that I liked best other than Zach Harrison of Ohio State that the Browns could have an opportunity to draft in the third round was Isaiah McGuire of Missouri.

Last night, I wrote about the Browns third-round selection of Baylor defensive tackle Siaki Ika while I had no issue with the selection of Ika if the Browns were drafting a defensive lineman I preferred Isaiah McGuire.

So, when the Browns were able to select Ohio State tackle Dawand Jones and then still land McGuire with the second of their fourth-round choices, lady luck is dancing with the Browns on my draft board.

McGuire is listed as both a defensive end and the new term "edge rusher" but can play with his hand down or come off the line as a standup rusher.

At 6'3 and 265 pounds, McGuire may not be a three-down lineman but he is noted as a high-effort player that can shove aside a tight end as well as rush the passer.

Ourlads rated his physical skills very highly and think that with some refinement McGuire has a chance to be a starter and at worst would be a part of a rotation system.

The concern with McGuire is that he's perhaps a "tweener" (too small to be a defensive end, too slow at linebacker) and some regarded him as inconsistent at Missouri, although he was named first-team SEC last season with seven sacks.

Those may be fair concerns but few players on day three of the draft are without questions, I like Isaiah McGuire a great deal and I think the Browns have helped themselves at a spot that they have often struggled to fill, the defensive end slot opposite Myles Garrett.

That day may not be this year but I do think that there is a chance for Isaiah McGuire to earn that slot in the lineup.



No comments: