Monday, December 20, 2010

Tea for Two

For the second week in a row, the Cleveland Browns lost to a team that entered the game with just two wins as Cincinnati nipped the Browns 19-17 in Southern Ohio.
The 5-9 Browns will finish the season at home and could have a huge impact on the AFC North with games against the two title challengers for the division with Baltimore coming to town next week and Pittsburgh finishing the season up on January 2nd.

Brownie Bits

1) Colt McCoy tossed two touchdowns and more important-zero interceptions.
McCoy had to deal with a pass rush all day (more on that below) that was all over him and yet McCoy showed so much poise in not forcing things and making the big mistake.
I really think the Browns have their keeper here, I really do.
Browns fans, I think it is safe to buy your McCoy jersey now.....

2) I know the smart call on the first play of the fourth quarter was to kick the field goal that cut the lead to 16-10 and Eric Mangini did just that, but I still would have gone for it.
Nothing ventured and nothing gained.

3) I am still amazed that Robert Royal grabbed the TD pass on the Browns first drive.
The toss had a very nice touch by McCoy, but the fact that Royal came down with the ball was shocking to me.

4) I still hear the pundits talking about wanting to see McCoy's arm strength in the windy weather and I want to see that as well.
However, keep one thing in mind about this topic-Derek Anderson has an arm that matched anyone that I have seen around for a while and when he needed to step up in the weather, he didn't.
Sometimes, it isn't all about sheer arm strength...

5) The Bengal pass rush was about more than just the four sacks as McCoy was rushed all day and that was a huge difference.
John St.Clair was his usual sieve-like self and Floyd Womack still looks better to me at guard than tackle.
Why this team loves St.Clair so much is more than I can stand and why isn't Shaun Lauvao getting more time at guard?
Lauvao needs the reps, Womack is better at tackle and anyone St.Clair blocks will have success against him...

6) If I see one more 2-yard route to Chansi Stuckey when the Browns need six, I think I am going to lose my mind.
Stuckey doesn't have the skills to make guys miss and make the yardage on that play, so why is it constantly called?
If Stuckey is open and runs a route to the sticks, that is different, but the player's skills just aren't up to making that play work.

7) Ahtyba Rubin had another strong day with five solo and five assisted tackles.
I believe that Rubin, not the more publicized Shaun Rogers has been the best lineman on the Browns this season.
Rubin is the only player on the D-line that to me looks like a long-term keeper for the Browns, no matter the bench boss...

8) We usually have given Rob Ryan and the defense a pass this season and they certainly have been on the field more than they should be, but the last two weeks have seen an alarmingly poor job in stopping the run.
Cedric Benson rushed for more yards against the Browns than he had rushed for in his last three games combined.
Take that with the issues in Buffalo, the looming games against Ray Rice and Rashard Mendenhall and I don't see improvement coming soon...

9) Eric Wright was injured in the game and was placed on the IR today.
With Wright being a free agent, the UNLV corner has likely played his last game as a Brown.
Look for the Browns to add a corner from somewhere for depth purposes and for Coye Francies to get some extra playing time...

10) Brian Robiskie had his best game of the season and not just because he scored a touchdown.
It was the way that he scored it, breaking tackles and showing a little more than usual speed.
I still think Robiskie could be a solid 2nd or 3rd receiver under a new coaching staff...

Photo Credits: John Kuntz-Cleveland Plain Dealer

No comments: