Tuesday, October 4, 2011

For one night-the case FOR the wild card

I have always hated the wild card in Major League Baseball and with the thoughts of a future expansion of the playoffs,I am sure that I will dislike it even more.
However,the hour and a half that I spent last Wednesday night flipping back and forth between games was compelling television and likely will not even come close to being matched by the actual playoffs.

I really did not have anyone that I cared about to root for in this fight either,so this was not really a Tampa or Boston issue.
I used to love pulling for Boston when the Indians were out of things by June,but the onslaught of under 35 idiot Red Sox fans have taken that away.

Sidebar: Ever notice that almost every Red Sox fan older than 35 is generally cool and a lot of fun to talk baseball with and nine of ten under that age is an obnoxious jackass?
I even have a friend under 35 that loves the Sox, is a good guy and even he cannot bring the average up of that demographic.

I cannot pull for Tampa either unless they play the Yankees.
I admit to being jealous of Tampa as the latest team to be smart with high draft picks and trades and taking advantage of the window of time that lower revenue teams have to make a playoff run-unlike Pittsburgh.

The atmosphere was more than baseball usually has and I bet average fans were enjoying the games as well.
I am not going to get into the details of the game other than the part of the excitement had to do with the Tampa comeback from seven runs down and the Red Sox slowly finding a way to lose.

I suppose that baseball is constantly looking for that infusion of excitement and they got it on this night,but generally that is not going to be there on a consistent basis.
Baseball is an everyday companion that can never compete with the one day explosion of the NFL,but last Wednesday showed that on occasion,it can more than hold its own and for one night,the wild card was worth having...

Photo Credit-J.Meric-Getty Images

No comments: