Thursday, October 20, 2011

Strat O Matic-the game I love....

I like video games.
Not ashamed to admit it,after all-I was part of the first generation to make home video games a huge success having had the less popular,but far superior Intellivision to the more mainstream Atari 2600.
I am sure that I can make a future post out of just Intellivision,but even as a gamer to this day-Mainly MLB the Show right now,but I have others,there is one game that ranks above the rest and it is soundless with the exception of dice clinking on a table.Strat O Matic baseball.

I have always loved sports simulation games,starting with Title Bout,a boxing game made by the Avalon Hill game company.
Title Bout tended to go almost everywhere I went for years and even though the game cards are not sold anymore,there is an online version available even today.

Ultimate College Basketball and Statis Pro Football were other passions of mine and I remember many a night filled with Statis Pro marathons,but the one constant from the day I started to this very day is Strat O Matic baseball.
Seasons replays,leagues drafted in various formats (usually either a six team with draft picks of players I wanted in the league from the unused teams or a league that combined each team with an AL and NL affiliate),you name it-I likely have either done it or at least started it.
I play the advanced or super advanced version and the game usually travels with me wherever I go with the dice,pitchers hitting cards and a few teams.
It all fits into a baggie,so space is not a factor at all.

I enjoy players that play similar to actual performance and as close as MLB the Show can get,it still comes down the skill with the thumb!
Strat O Matic does just that and is currently celebrating its 50th anniversary of being in the business.
I have seasons ranging from 1941 to 2004 (I just don't enjoy the newer seasons as much) and I have "Friended" SOM on Facebook as they have an item of the week at 50% off.
This week was the 41 season,but I am hoping that sooner or later that one of the seasons that I really want hits the half off sale,such as 1948 (Indians title),1960 and 1971 (Pirates title) or any of the great Sandy Koufax seasons are eventual musts as well.
The current replay at work is the 1978 Indians,a dull team to most,but the dull teams are the most enjoyable for me.
It is fun seeing if you could improve a bad teams record over their actual record.

The game ranges from very simple to quite detailed,but either way there are players that generally perform to their real life statistics.
Sometimes I play more than others,but SOM is usually around my life in some way and I cannot imagine it ever going by the wayside.
If you love baseball,I mean truly love it and all the numbers that the game brings with it,I could not recommend the game more.
Nothing makes one think of spring more on a snowy night than a game of SOM where 1951 comes to life with the Giants taking on the Dodgers.

Photo Credit
Game Cards;Austin Gisreil
Dice:Strat O Matic.com

No comments: