Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cleveland Browns going into free agency

Some thoughts on the Browns entering free agency and their needs.
I may do another on a few players that I would like to see the Browns try to bring to Cleveland,but first a few thoughts on the upheaval for the team over the winter.

I'm ok with them.
I wouldn't have fired Rob Chudzinski and I'm willing to bet Mike Pettine wouldn't have been in my top ten of candidates to replace him,but if the price of losing Chudzinski was paid in return for kicking Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi to the curb-then I'll pay that toll.

I'm also fine with the release of D'qwell Jackson as I wrote after he was released.
Jackson was best in the 4-3 defensive alignment and was not nearly the same player in either the Eric Mangini or the Rob Chudzinski teams 3-4.
Considering that with his age (30) and high dollar payout-I'm fine with that as well.

The big questions going into free agency are these two-Can the Browns re-sign Alex Mack?
Can the Browns re-sign T.J. Ward?
If I have to pick one-I sink the dollars into Mack.
Mack is a higher level performer,harder to replace and we just don't know how Ward will transition into what Mike Pettine wants to do on defense.
Recall some of Ward's struggles under Pat Shurmur?
If you could promise me that the Browns could retain Alex Mack and land Pettine's former Buffalo ballhawker Jarius Byrd-I think I can deal with losing T.J. Ward.
More on Byrd in the planned post on free agent targets,but I'd love to bring Byrd to Cleveland!

What I think the Browns should be looking for in the free agency period is as follows in no particular order other than offense and defense being lumped together.

The Browns should be looking for a big body on the right side of the line preferably a guard.
Mitchell Schwartz disappointed at tackle after a solid rookie season,so I"m willing to give him another year to straighten out.
The same cannot be said for Shaun Lauvao at guard,who has never panned out after being a third rounder and needs to replaced.
I think a Joe Thomas,John Greco,Alex Mack (assuming things work out after his transition tag),Veteran Guard and Schwartz is a pretty decent line...

I wouldn't be against signing a running back either,if they had low mileage,fairly young or fit the Kyle Shanahan system.
For all the shots at the Shanahan family offense,no one can deny they create running back stars.

I'd like to see someone brought into play to be the slot receiver that Davone Bess was supposed to be.
Someone sure handed,tough and to give a inexperienced quarterback someone to rely on.
Two fit the bill,but will likely want more money that I'd pay.

I'm fine at tight end with Jordan Cameron and I'm fine at quarterback only because I'd like to see the Browns have a drafted passer and maybe two,unless the new coaches like Trick Shot Tanney...

On the defense,the glaring need is at inside linebacker.
D'Qwell Jackson was never as good in the 3-4 as noted earlier,but he still leaves a hole and Craig Robertson was atrocious in pass coverage.
The Browns at least need one starter from free agency and maybe even two.
If they can get two,inside backer becomes a lesser need in the draft.

Since the team decided to let T.J. Ward test the market and assuming he leaves,safety becomes a gaping hole and someone needs to fill it.
The guy I have in mind would more than do so!

Buster Skrine improved by bunches last season and played well,but I still think he is better suited as a top notch 3rd corner than an average 2nd corner.
I'd be looking at corner hard especially with the team working on long term contract with Joe Haden..

The defensive line is solid and since the team is invested in Barkevious Mingo and Paul Kruger for large amounts of dollars,I think outside linebacker is safe for another season.

The game plan for tonight is coverage of the Devils against the Red Wings and then the next two days,barring breaking news going with the free agents that I would target and more of the Danny Rosenbaum interview.....


No comments: