Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Cleaning out the inbox-Sports Version

I've been so busy with coverage that the inbox has become quite filled.
As a result,I'll be splitting the inbox into two sections, sports and non-sports, which I'll reserve for another slow day!
We start with a terrific read about the best local TV broadcasting team in baseball and the main reason that I became a Giants fan, but it's more than a baseball article-its about the friendship between Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper.
Krukow is quietly (for such a vocally upbeat guy) battling a muscle disease called Inclusion-Body Myositis that atrophies the muscles to the point of eventually requiring the use of a wheelchair.
It is nice to see that the two guys that make a team enjoyable to watch are good guys off the field as well...

Steve Wulf of ESPN looks
at the Cleveland Indians and their attempts to slowly step away from Chief Wahoo the beloved Indian logo.
Now, I am very sensitive to the Native American resentment of the Washington Redskins name and I can even see some problems with Wahoo, but I have to admit I'd miss the old guy.
Another issue for me is the dullness of the current Indians caps, the block C is painfully dull.
I could be fine with a return to the wishbone C (similar to the Reds) in either red or black as the team used in the '60s and early '70s, but the hat that I like the best that would not look like a ripoff of the Reds is the 74-78 hats.
I would like that best of all...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer has an article on a player that will likely be the Ohio State quarterback three or four years down the road in Massillon quarterback Danny Clark, who is committed to OSU, despite being just a high school sophomore.
Always interesting to hear about these guys before they hit the big time...

We wrap with two different articles on the recent football boom in Mississippi.
SBNation takes a look at the differences in the fan bases at Ole Miss and Mississippi State, while Wright Thompson, a tremendous ESPN writer, and Mississippi native. takes another tack in looking at the Mississippi people and how the programs affect a poor southern state's psyche...

That cleans the sports side until the next slow day when we hit the non-sports side...


No comments: