Thursday, October 23, 2014

Five in the sixth sinks Giants in Kansas City

The San Francisco Giants had their chances to move back to AT&T Park with a two game lead,but after one bad inning left the Giants machine leaking oil,the series will return to California tied at one after the Kansas City Royals took a 7-2 decision in Kansas City.
Gregor Blanco homered in the defeat that was given to Jake Peavy.

The series returns to San Francisco Friday night with Tim Hudson on the mound for the home team and Jeremy Guthrie for the invaders...

Giant Steps

1) The Giants did get off to a nice beginning with Gregor Blanco's homer off Yordano Ventura.
A pleasant surprise that made me think that a 2-0 lead could be likely.

2) I know Yordano Ventura throws hard,I saw him first hand in Frederick and I can understand that not everyone knows or has seen him pitch,but did Fox belabor the point of how hard he throws?
Yes,I didn't need to hear every batter about how hard the ball was thrown.
In the case of Blanco,the words of my pap came back to me "the harder it comes in,the harder it goes out".

3) I've stated in the past my frustrations with Bruce Bochy's handling of a pitching staff and it came back tonight.
I would have pulled Jake Peavy after carefully pushing him through five innings,called for Yusemiro
Petit and took my chances.
Instead five different pitchers paraded through in the pivotal sixth as part of the endless matchup game.
I have an opinion on that and it'll be held for a slow day,but trust me,baseball won't speed up until these matchup issues are solved,

4) I get how pitchers can pump themselves up with words and vent frustrations as well,but Hunter Strickland needs to settle down and for that matter so does Jake Peavy.
I like Strickland as a power arm and future closer,but he needs to take better care of his emotions or he will never be the pitcher that he could be....

5) SO after a rough night-what are my thoughts on the 3 games by the bay?
I'm not going to anoint the Royals because of their bullpen today any more than I gave the Giants the series after an easy game one.
The Royals had the advantage of a rested bullpen and then a lopsided game one loss,they won't have that by the middle part of the series,keep that in mind.
The Giants on the other hand will need to get more out of a bullpen that seems to in worse trouble by the day,,,,,


No comments: