Sunday, October 5, 2014

Ohio State tramples the Terrapins 52-24

Much of was made of Maryland's first home conference game since joining the Big 10 and Terrapins fans did sell out Byrd Stadium for the visiting Ohio State Buckeyes.
However,it didn't take long for Maryland to realize that this wasn't Indiana (who they beat in their first conference game) and the game was never competitive as Ohio State left with a 52-24 victory at College Park.
J.T Barrett threw for 267 yards and four touchdowns while Ezekiel Elliott was the top rusher with 139 yards.
The now 4-1 Buckeyes (1-0 Big Ten) take a week off before returning home against the other conference newcomer in Rutgers.

1) Fair warning,this has been a long day and I got a few hours of sleep before the Giants-Nationals (which is still going on as of this writing) game once Ohio State got a lead that I felt comfortable with in the third quarter.
When I hit the hay,the score was 38-10,so I missed the final two touchdowns by each team...

2) J.T, Barrett is looking more and more comfortable in the pocket and his passing accuracy is improving as well.
Chris Spielman mentioned on the broadcast that some rumors are flying that Braxton Miller may transfer for his final year since he would be immediately eligible,much like Russell Wilson left N.C.State for Wisconsin.
I suppose that could happen,but I'm kinda doubtful of that happening.

3) Ezekiel Elliott continues maturation as a running back to be counted on.
Elliott reminds me of Carlos Hyde and if he winds up being close to that level,I'd be thrilled/.
Breakaway speed isn't the best and he is never going to be that,but he will put the shoulder down and run with toughness.

4) Joey Bosa gets raves every week,so I'm not going to rehash the same things,
However,I'll say this-at the rate that Bosa crushes QB's,he won't be in Columbus for his whole term,

5) I missed this since I was in bed,but highly touted linebacker Raekown McMillan picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown,
Each week,we see more McMillan and less of senior Curtis Grant and I like the move.
Grant is a senior,but frankly is not the better player,McMillan,on the other hand,might be the next OSU linebacking star.

6) I worried about the OSU secondary after being scorched by Cincinnati and Maryland having super target Stevon Diggs,who was heavily recruited by Ohio State.
Diggs was kept somewhat under control and the secondary was much improved.

7) Maryland appeared to be in a position of having a chance late in the first half,having scored to cut the lead 24-10 and then a stop of the Buckeyes gave them the ball back deep in their own territory with a little over a minute to play.
You would think kneel down,get the ball to start the second half and have some momentum going into the locker room.
Not to Maryland coach Randy Edsall,who calls a pass,which is blown up by Joey Bosa,pass is rushed,picked off by Darron Lee and Ohio State scores shortly thereafter.
Momentum broken and game over..

8) If Maryland is going to mature in this league,Randy Edsall is going to have to go.
Edsall is walking off the field at the half and is asked about the pass play.
Edsall said WE made a poor decision.
Who is WE and who makes those decisions?
My buddy Kendall  Morris says that it is pure Edsall and that this stuff happens all the time.
Zero accountability.

9) The Maryland helmets?
Just awful.
Beyond terrible...

10) Best quote of the day;Joey Bosa on the Maryland crowd.
"It's a big game for us every week,Apparently the biggest game in Maryland history or whatever they were saying and we're Ohio State,we come in and every game's a big game for us".

11) Finally this-I remember a character in the movie Serenity,where he kills another and tries to do so gently.
He said "there's no joy in this for me,not at all".
There is no joy in winning over Maryland for me.
I've been a Terrapin fan forever and frankly I hated them entering the league.
This game could have been a one point win or a hundred point victory,I wouldn't have had a great feeling.
Maybe it'll come in time,but I'm more morose about what's gone instead of being happy about winning.
After all,I still have a Maryland football helmet lamp beside my couch,but as Chad and Jeremy once sang-that was yesterday and yesterday's gone...



No comments: